Grey Towers Castle
Grey Towers Castle, a National Historic Landmark, is often cited by alumni as one of the most vivid memories of their Arcadia University education.
The Castle, completed in 1898, was the architectural centerpiece of an estate owned by William Welsh Harrison. In 1929, Arcadia University (then located in Jenkintown) purchased Grey Towers from Harrison's widow and son. Classes were held in Jenkintown and Glenside until 1962, when the University transferred completely to the Grey Towers property.
Grey Towers Castle houses the Office of Enrollment Management (Admissions and Financial Aid); College of Health Sciencces; Rose and Mirror Rooms; Nostrand Conference Room; and the Castle Dining Room.
- Grey Towers Castle received National Historic Landmark status in 1985. The Society for Castle Restoration (SCR), a student organization, offers tours and conducts fundraising activities, such as the annual Haunted Castle in October, for its enhancement. More information on the history of Grey Towers Castle.
- On the first floor, the Grand Hall has two large marble fireplaces, a grand staircase, and original lighting fixtures and woodwork.
- The Castle Dining Room was recently restored to recreate its original look. The room is used for special dinners, lectures and other events.
- The Mirror Room features a parquet floor, mirrored doors and a painted ceiling. This room was originally the estate's Ballroom.
- Formerly the Billards Room, the Nostrand Conference Room is used for meetings.
- Landings on opposite ends of the second floor contain Baumgarten Tapestries, original woodcavings and leaded windows. These landings are used as meeting and student lounge areas.
- The Castle's third floor is a coed residence hall for first-year students. Residents are housed in rooms of two to six. Some rooms share a private bathroom. All feature high ceilings and large windows.