The ARCADIA THEATRE presents THE RIVALS
In the past, a hand fan was used not only for cooling oneself, but also as a convenient communication device, mainly for transmitting more or less furtive love messages.
- With fan open against ear: "Keep our secret"
- With fan closed against left ear: "I want to get rid of you"
- Closed touching left cheek: "No"
- Closed touching right cheek: "Yes"
- Opening and shutting fan quickly: "You are cruel"
- Handle to lips: "Kiss me"
- Tip of closed fan to lips: "I detest you"
- Resting fan on lips: "I don't trust you"
- Fanning quickly: "Pay attention to me"
- Slowly fanning: "Don't waste you're time, I don't care about you"
- Fanning with left hand: "Don't flirt with that woman"
- Appearing at balcony fanning one's self slowly, going back in, and closing door: "I can't go out"
- Appearing at balcony, fanning one's self quickly, going back in and leaving door open: "I'll be out soon"
- Running fingers through ribs of fan: "I want to talk to you"
- Moving hair away from face with fan: "Don't forget me"
- Passing fan from hand to hand: "I see that you are looking at another woman"
- Hitting palm of hand with fan: "Love me"
- Hitting any object with fan: "I'm impatient"
- Snapping fan shut quickly: "I'm jealous"
- Holding half open fan in front of face: "We are being watched"
- Dangling closed fan from left hand or wrist: "I'm not available for conversation or a dance"
- Dangling closed fan from right hand or wrist: "I am available for conversation or a dance"
- Dropping the fan: "I belong to you"
- Blocking the sunlight: "You're ugly"
- Looking closely at painting on fan: "I like you"
- Twirling fan in right hand: "I love another"
- Resting fan near right eye: "When can I see you"
- Resting fan on heart: "My love for you is breaking my heart"
- Drawing fan across forehead: "You have changed"
- Drawing fan across cheek: "I love you"
- Drawing fan though fingers: "I hate you"
Top | Back to The Rivals home