Study Abroad at Università del Salento
- Study abroad at Università del Salento offers a unique program in southern Italy for students at all levels of Italian language study, from beginner to advanced.
- The program combines the study of Italian language with elective content courses on Italian culture, cinema, literature, history and the Mafia, all taught in English.
- Studies are supported by a required afternoon Italian language "learning lab" emphasizing aspects of local culture through crafts, dance, folk traditions and excursions.
- Enroll alongside international students at the Università del Salento’s Centro Linguistico di Ateneo.
- Advanced students enroll directly in university courses, alongside Italian students.
- A summer program is also available.
Lecce has long been a respected center of learning. That tradition continues at a university known throughout the country as a leading center for research, with distinctive specializations in linguistic, classical, and literary studies, as well as the sciences, economics and engineering.
While studying at the Università del Salento’s nationally-renowned Centro Liguistico d’Atteneo (CLA), program students can expect to reach great heights in their study of Italian language and culture! Students will, in fact, make progress through at least two levels of Italian language learning over the course of the semester, with course material presented through engaging and innovative methods.
The program awards 15 credits per semester, 12 of which are devoted to the study of Italian language. The remaining three credits can be selected from a range of electives (taught in English), varying from Italian cinema, literature, history and organized crime (Mafia) studies. Please note that elective course availability is based upon a minimum number of student enrollments. Offerings may include:
Spring semester: Twentieth Century Italian Poetry; Italian Women Writers; Mafia: Politics and History; Art History: from Renaissance to the 20th Century.
Fall semester: Introduction to Italian Literature; Italian Cinema: Neo-realism; Italian History from the Unification up to the Second World War.
This program is for students of all levels of Italian, from beginners to advanced. All students have access to the language and culture courses, as well as the elective courses taught in English, and advanced students in Italian have the option to enroll directly in courses at the University alongside Italian undergraduates.
Italian language study at all levels combines structured class time with an array of afternoon activities, all of which are taught in Italian. Each activity focuses on the traditional art forms and crafts of the region. Recent activities have included:
- stone carving
- Italian cooking
- carta pesta (traditional, ornate pâpier-maché)
- folk music and traditional dance
- weekly excursions throughout the beautiful Salentine peninsula
Outside of class, students are most welcome and encouraged to participate in any of the University activities and will have access to the University gymnasium and fitness classes. Additionally, if you're interested in sports, you will be pleased to know that Lecce is host to an upper division soccer team.
You will earn the following hours of credit:
- Fall semester: 15 credits.
- Spring semester: 15 credits.
- Academic year: 30 credits.
GPA Requirements: 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
You must be in good academic standing and not on disciplinary probation. You need to submit a complete application including a transcript, letter of recommendation and an advisor's form before your application will be considered.
- Fall semester: April 20
- Spring semester: October 1
- Academic year: April 20