Arcadia in Chile Summer Program
Arcadia University Center for Latin American Studies
- New for Summer 2013! Students can select one of two courses at the Arcadia University Center for Latin American Studies in partnership with the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso (PUCV), Chile.
- Each course, taught in English, takes place over six weeks and awards 6 credits.
- Students also take a 3-credit course in Spanish language.
- Classes are taught by faculty from the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso in university classrooms and on site in Valparaíso.
- Choose from two options: Globalization and Social Justice in Chile or Valparaíso, World Heritage City: Local Art in Global Boundaries.
- A semester program is also available.
The Arcadia University Center for Latin American Studies was established in direct collaboration with the Pontificia Universidad Católica de Valparaíso. Founded in 1928, with a tradition of academic excellence, now serves over 14,000 students and is one of the most forward-looking and international universities in Latin America.
Students will have the opportunity to discover what global means in a Latin American and Chilean context, in two courses, one on Globalization and Social Justice and the other as Heritage Narratives. Valparaíso is the classroom, and students will engage in the university and the community, from the university to Valparaíso, Santiago and surrounding areas.
In addition to the central courses, taught in English, students will be involved in a wide variety of co- and extra-curricular activities. Full immersion is enhanced by homestay housing for all students, in addition to a 3-credit Spanish language course.
All students will be housed in homestays with local Chilean families. The homestays are either in neighborhoods of Valparaiso (old city) or Viña del Mar. Most homes are a 15-20 minute commute by bus or Metro to the academic campus. Only one student is assigned per house; students have single bedrooms, are provided 3 meals per day, provided laundry service and all homes have Internet connections. Accommodations for non-Spanish speaking students can be provided with families that have a basic proficiency in English.
Viña del Mar reflects its aristocratic past and present, the gardens and beaches bustle with modernity in a city that calls itself "Viña - Beautiful City."
Valparaiso offers the charm and magic of its hills, historic quarter with heritage interest, and local color of its bohemian scene.
Summer program: 9 credits.
GPA Requirement: 2.8 on a 4.0 scale.
You must be in good academic standing and not on disciplinary probation. You need to submit a complete application including a transcript, letter of recommendation and an advisor's form before your application will be considered.