About Oxford University
Return to Oxford Program Page
St. Edmund Hall
St. Edmund Hall, affectionately known as “Teddy Hall,” takes its name from St. Edmund of Abingdon, Archbishop of Canterbury (1234-40), who lived and taught in a house on the grounds in the late 12th century. The history of St. Edmund Hall goes back to the thirteenth century and it holds the claim to be "the oldest academical society for the education of undergraduates."
Today, St. Edmund Hall considers itself to be modern, friendly and forward-thinking, and is known for providing a wide range of subjects in the arts and sciences. It retains its privileged location in the heart of Oxford and has about 400 undergraduates, 175 graduates, and 40 tutorial fellows at any given time. The environment at St. Edmund is intellectually challenging, yet supportive and committed to the traditional tutorial style of teaching. Students are encouraged to discuss subjects across disciplines in order to expand their intellectual curiosity.
The Teddy Hall JCR (Junior Common Room) is a thriving and lively place and the hub of social activity for the College. It is where students come to eat, relax, catch up with one another, and read the newspaper. Despite the academically rigorous environment, students are encouraged to get involved in extra-curricular activities such as journalism, music, drama, art, and creative writing.