SOAS, University of London
Courses and Credits
SOAS courses available to study abroad students are listed on the university website:
- Most single-semester courses are worth 0.5 credits or 4 U.S. credits.
- A typical course load is 4 classes per semester.
- Most courses offered at SOAS are full-year courses.
- It is usually possible to take either the fall or the spring half of a full-year course if you are a single-semester student; read the course description carefully to make sure.
Study Abroad students should enroll for courses according to the following guidelines:
- Autumn or Spring Semester students should take a total of 2 units, or 16 U.S. credits.
- Academic Year students should choose a total of 4 units, or 32 U.S. credits.
- Overloading is not permitted.
|SOAS Course Unit Values
||U.S. Credit Equivalent
||4 U.S. credits
||8 U.S. credits
||16 U.S. credits
- Language classes at SOAS are offered as full-year, 1.0 unit courses.
- All language courses are open to fall semester students.
- Spring semester students will only be admitted to language classes if they can demonstrate prior knowledge of the language (knowledge equivalent to that which was taught during the fall semester half of the class).
- Upon arrival, all students who wish to take language courses will take a placement test to determine the appropriate class placement.
- The SOAS academic year is divided into two 12-week terms followed by a 6-week term during which examinations take place.
- Students applying through The College of Global Studies may enroll for the autumn term, the spring semester (the spring and summer terms combined), or the full academic year.
- You should secure approval for at least 8-10 courses per semester.
- Make sure to list at least one alternate course for every course you select.
- List your choices and alternates in order of preference.
- SOAS does not pre-register any students for classes; both study abroad and degree students finalize their class schedules upon arrival at the beginning of the semester.
It is your responsibility to make sure that the courses you take abroad will transfer for credit to your home school. Please review your course choices with your academic or study abroad advisor, and submit the online course registration form to The College of Global Studies at Arcadia University.
Every effort will be made to place you in the courses you request. However, neither SOAS nor The College of Global Studies can guarantee placement in any course. Your first choices may not be available due to schedule changes, time conflicts or cancellations. Alternate course approval and flexibility is extremely important.
For assistance with any part of the application process, call Michelle Kasmauskis, your Program Manager, at 1-866-927-2234, or email email@example.com. Please review your course choices with your academic or study abroad advisor, and submit the online course registration form on your Arcadia Passport.