Burren College of Art
Preliminary Course Information
The Course Selection Process
- In order to proceed with your application to the Burren College of Art (BCA) you will need to submit a preliminary course form for your semester. Your course selections should be made in consultation with your academic advisor.
- If you have not previously done so, please meet with your academic advisor to ensure that the courses that you plan to take overseas will transfer back to your degree program.
- In addition to your proposed list of 5 courses, we recommend that you choose a series of alternate courses. Your first choice selections may not be available due to scheduling changes, time conflicts, prerequisites or cancellations.
- Your flexibility is very important to the process.
- If your enrollment is conditional upon entry into a specific course or courses, it is very important that you indicate these requirements at the bottom of the preliminary course form on your Arcadia Passport.
- While every effort will be made to accommodate your selections, Arcadia University College of Global Studies cannot guarantee placement in any specific course.
- Official course registration will take place upon arrival at BCA. The preliminary course form you submit to Arcadia prior to acceptance is not set in stone. You will have a two week drop/add period at the beginning of the semester where you can make changes to your course registration.
You are required to maintain a full-time course load throughout your period of study in Ireland. A full course load at BCA ranges from 15-18 credits per semester, or 30-36 credits for the academic year. You can easily organize your schedule to achieve 15 credits per semester. Most courses at the BCA are assigned a weight of 3 credits. Some advanced studio courses have a value of 6 credits.
Every student must enroll in at least one non-studio art course (also known as Liberal Arts class); examples include Irish Studies, Art History or Creative Writing.
Official course registration will take place at the Burren College of Art.
Please note that you should also be aware of any credit requirements at your home institution.
Navigating the Overseas University’s Course Website
BCA course offerings and course descriptions are available at
- To view the classes, click on the links for the studio-based subjects (drawing, painting, photography or sculpture), Adjunct Studio courses, and Liberal Arts courses.
- Most courses at the BCA are assigned a weight of 3 credits each.
Other Important Points
- Arcadia University does not issue pass/fail grades for work completed overseas.
- It is your responsibility to make sure you are registered for a full academic load according to your home school policies and that the courses you take abroad will transfer for credit to your home school.
For assistance with any part of the application process, call Amanda Zimmerman, your Senior Program Manager, at 1-866-927-2234, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please review your course choices with your academic or study abroad advisor, and submit the online course registration form on your Arcadia Passport.