University of Ulster
Preliminary Course Information
The Course Selection Process
- In order to proceed with your application to the University of Ulster (Ulster) you will need to submit a preliminary course form for your semester. Your course selections should be made in consultation with your academic advisor.
- If you have not previously done so, please meet with your academic advisor to ensure that the courses that you plan to take overseas will transfer back to your degree program.
- In addition to your proposed list of 6-10 courses, we recommend that you choose a series of alternate courses. Your first choice selections may not be available due to scheduling changes, time conflicts, prerequisites or cancellations.
- Your flexibility is very important to the process.
- If your enrollment is conditional upon entry into a specific course or courses, it is very important that you indicate these requirements at the bottom of the preliminary course form on your Arcadia Passport.
- While every effort will be made to accommodate your selections, The College of Global Studies at Arcadia University cannot guarantee placement in any specific course.
- Official course registration will take place upon arrival at Ulster. The preliminary course form you submit to Arcadia prior to acceptance is not set in stone. You will have a two week drop/add period at the beginning of the semester where you can make changes to your course registration.
You are required to maintain a full-time course load throughout your period of study in Northern Ireland. Most students studying at Ulster take only three (3) courses per semester, although some subject areas offer half courses. Full courses are worth 20 CATS credits/units and half courses are worth 10 CATS credits/units. All students must take a full academic workload of 60 CATS credits per semester, which translates to 15 American credits.
Official course registration will take place at University of Ulster.
Please note that you should also be aware of any credit requirements at your home institution.
Use the following chart to help you select your course schedule:
1 Ulster course (20 CATS credits) = 5 American credits per semester
1 Ulster half course (10 CATS credits) = 2.5 American credits per semester
Navigating the Overseas University’s Course Website
When selecting your courses from the overseas university’s website, you should be aware of some differences in terminology. In Northern Ireland, the word we use for class or course is often called a "module."
University of Ulster’s course offerings and course descriptions are available at http://prospectus.ulster.ac.uk/modules/.
- To view the classes – In the “Select” Tab, use the drop-down arrow in the "Topic" section to view the available departments. Then select your department of interest and wait for the complete course list to load. Each course code and course title is a link that will bring up a short course description which includes the means of assessment, campus, credits and course duration.
- Duration – Courses listed as "Semester 1" are offered in the fall, "Semester 2" in the spring.
- Campus Location – You may only study at one campus of the University of Ulster (Belfast, or Jordanstown). Pay careful attention to each course to make sure it is held at the same campus.
- Courses – Typically, students studying at University of Ulster take only three (3) courses per semester. However, some departments offer half-modules. Students should only choose levels 1, 3 and 5 – because 0 is not a degree level and 7 and 8 are postgraduate levels, which are not available to undergraduates. Level 1 courses are first-year Irish classes, Level 3 courses are second-year Irish classes, and Level 5 courses are final/third-year Irish classes.
Other Important Points
- Arcadia University does not issue pass/fail grades for work completed overseas.
- It is your responsibility to make sure you are registered for a full academic load according to your home school policies and that the courses you take abroad will transfer for credit to your home school.
For assistance with any part of the application process, call Amanda Zimmerman, your Senior Program Manager, at 1-866-927-2234, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please review your course choices with your academic or study abroad advisor, and submit the online course registration form on your Arcadia Passport.