University of Limerick
Preliminary Course Information
The Course Selection Process
- In order to proceed with your application to the University of Limerick you will need to submit a preliminary course form for your semester. Your course selections should be made in consultation with your academic advisor.
- If you have not previously done so, please meet with your academic advisor to ensure that the courses that you plan to take overseas will transfer back to your degree program.
- In addition to your proposed list of 5 courses, Limerick requires that you choose 5 alternate courses. Your first choice selections may not be available due to scheduling changes, time conflicts, prerequisites or cancellations. Please submit a total of 10 courses.
- Your flexibility is very important to the process.
- If your enrollment is conditional upon entry into a specific course or courses, it is very important that you indicate these requirements at the bottom of the preliminary course form on your Arcadia Passport.
- While every effort will be made to accommodate your selections, Arcadia University College of Global Studies cannot guarantee placement in any specific course.
- Official course registration will take place upon arrival at Limerick. The preliminary course form you submit to Arcadia prior to acceptance is not set in stone. You will have a two week drop/add period at the beginning of the semester where you can make changes to your course registration.
You are required to maintain a full-time course load throughout your period of study in Ireland. A full course load at University of Limerick is typically five courses of 6 ECTS credits each per semester, totaling 30 ECTS credits. This translates to 15 American credits for the semester.
Official course registration will take place at University of Limerick.
Please note that you should also be aware of any credit requirements at your home institution.
Refer to the credit translation scale below when selecting your courses:
Navigating the Overseas University’s Course Website
When selecting your courses from the overseas university’s website, you should be aware of some differences in terminology. In Ireland, the word we use for class or course is called a "module."
University of Limerick course offerings and course descriptions for study abroad students are available on the university's website.
- To view the courses, open the appropriate Module Booklet from the left-hand side of the page. (If the booklet for your year of study is not available, please use the booklet for the relevant semester from the most recent year. Module offerings remain fairly consistent from year to year.) Modules are organized by department. Information about courses, including a brief course description, ECTS credit value, entry requirements and course duration is provided.
- More specific information about the courses may be available in the University's online Book of Modules. Please bear in mind that this Book of Modules includes courses not available to study abroad students. If using this course catalog, only view classes beginning with a 4. Classes that start with a 5 and 6 are postgraduate classes and not available to you. For example, EN4023 is an undergraduate class. This online catalog should always be used in conjunction with the documents available on the University of Limerick study abroad website.
- Courses – A typical course load at the University of Limerick is 5 courses per semester. University of Limerick requires students to select 5 classes and 5 alternate classes.
- Important Considerations – Sports Science and Physical Education classes are limited and will therefore only be on offer to Sport Science/PE majors. University of Limerick cannot guarantee placement into any sport science/PE class prior to arrival on campus. Priority is given to University of Limerick students and the remaining places are offered to study abroad students.
The availability of Equine classes is restricted to equine majors and places cannot be guaranteed to study abroad students in advance of arrival to University of Limerick. Preference is given to University of Limerick equine majors and study abroad students will be offered any remaining places. If you are interested in taking equine classes at UL, please review the guidelines.
Other Important Points
- Arcadia University does not issue pass/fail grades for work completed overseas.
- It is your responsibility to make sure you are registered for a full academic load according to your home school policies and that the courses you take abroad will transfer for credit to your home school.
For assistance with the application process, you can contact your Program Manager, Amanda Zimmerman, or Enrollment Counselor, Adam Williams, at 1-866-927-2234.
Please review your course choices with your academic or study abroad advisor, and submit the online preliminary course form on your Arcadia Passport to the Arcadia University College of Global Studies.