University of St Andrews
Return to Scotland Housing Information Page
The College of Global Studies at Arcadia University, in conjunction with the University of St Andrews, guarantees your housing in one of two types of St Andrews housing: catered or self-catered accommodation. St Andrews is a highly residential campus with 52% of all students living in University-managed accommodation. All residences are centrally located and fully integrated with both home and overseas students from various disciplines.
Type 1 – Meal-Plan Accommodation – Catered Residence Halls
If you are placed in a catered residence hall, there is a standard meal-plan. We will invoice the billing address indicated on your application for the additional fee as soon as assignments are received. Please note that you will be billed the same amount regardless of how many meals you choose to eat at the dining hall at your residence. Please see Arcadia’s fee schedule for specific details about this surcharge.
- In most halls, 19 meals are provided per week (breakfast, lunch and dinner on Monday-Friday; breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday).
- In David Russell Apartments, 14 meals are provided per week (breakfast and dinner on Monday-Friday; breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday).
- A vegetarian option will be available; however, students with very specific dietary needs should consider the likelihood that their specific needs may not be met in a cafeteria setting.
- Students must provide their own bedding, including: sheets, duvets, pillows, blankets, and towels. Students can purchase these items cheaply in St Andrews.
Type 2- Self-Catered Residence Halls
- Shared kitchen facilities are available in each hall for students to prepare their own meals.
- Students must provide their own bedding and kitchen supplies, including: sheets, pillows, blankets, towels and personal crockery and cutlery. Students can purchase these items cheaply in St Andrews.
Each residence will have the following:
- Shared or single bedrooms furnished with a bed, desk with chair, book shelves and wardrobe
- Telephones in each room
- Data point in each room for connecting to the University’s network
- Computer room
- Shared showers/bath and toilet facilities in standard accommodation
- Student laundry facility
- Common room and study areas
- Warden (member of the academic staff) who lives in the residence and is responsible for student welfare and discipline
- An additional "house subscription fee" to be paid upon arrival to cover general student charges, e.g. newspapers, library subscriptions, and social events. This fee will vary by residence.
Please visit the Housing Accommodations link to review the available housing options.
General Information All Students Must Know
Housing Preferences are not Guaranteed - Although you can submit your preferences, your allocation will be based on availability and are at the discretion of St Andrews.
Housing Costs – Arcadia will pay the housing fees to the University of St Andrews on your behalf. The program fee covers housing but not meals.
Housing between Semesters – Winter and Spring Breaks. Academic Year and Spring students in catered residence halls are permitted to stay in their rooms during the spring break, however catering will not be provided. Academic Year students in catered accommodation at David Russell Apartments are also permitted to stay in their rooms over the winter break. Academic Year students in other catered accommodation are not able to stay in their residence hall over the winter break; however they may leave their possessions in their rooms unless essential maintenance has to be carried out.
Academic Year and Spring students in self-catered residence halls are permitted to stay in their rooms during all breaks.
The cost of housing during breaks will be covered by Arcadia University and billed with the housing fee.