Student Travel Information Scotland
Understanding Your Options
Arcadia University attempts to make your travel overseas as easy and affordable as possible. All students are responsible for arranging and purchasing their own flight.
No group flights are arranged for students studying in Scotland, however, Arcadia recommends that you consider booking your flight through our travel provider, Student Universe.
Additionally, all students are required to in be attendance for the entirety of their Arcadia orientation, which begins on the posted program arrival date.
In order to connect you with Arcadia in-country staff on the program arrival date, you will need to be aware of the arrival instructions below. If you have any questions about booking your overseas travel, please contact Arcadia’s Logistics Manager, Rich Conroy, at email@example.com.
Please Note: Do not book a flight which connects through the Republic of Ireland. You will not be able to obtain proper immigration clearances if you travel to the United Kingdom through the Republic of Ireland. Failure to secure the proper passport stamp may affect your ability to remain in country for the duration of your time abroad.
Review Your Program Dates
Please visit the Arcadia program calendar page to review your scheduled arrival date before booking your travel.
When Can I Arrive in Scotland?
Students studying for 6 months or less who enter on a Student Visitor Visa will be permitted a total stay of 6 months in the United Kingdom. You are able to arrive early to the UK and/or stay in the UK after your program concludes as long as your total time in the UK does not exceed 6 months.
Students studying for 6 months or less who are required to apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa (for example: internship program participants): Please do not arrive in the UK more than one week prior to your program start date. Tier 4 Student Visas are not valid before this time and you will not be able to enter the UK under the correct immigration status. If you plan to arrive in the UK more than one week prior to your program start date, you will need to leave the UK and re-enter within one week of the start date in order to obtain the correct visa stamp and immigration status. (You will not be able to travel to/from the Republic or Ireland in order to obtain these.) You will be permitted to stay in the UK for no more than 7 days after your program concludes.
Students studying for more than 6 months on a Tier 4 Student Visa can arrive up to one month before their classes begin. You will be permitted to stay in the UK for up to one month after your program concludes.
What to Expect When I Arrive in Scotland?
When booking your flight, please keep the following in mind:
- The mandatory Arcadia orientation for students studying in Scotland will take place in Edinburgh. After the Arcadia orientation finishes, transportation to your host institution will be provided by Arcadia. (Please note that arrival details for some programs, particularly the Stirling International Summer School, can differ. Your program manager will inform you of the arrangements for any program which falls outside these standard instructions.)
- Book a flight that arrives at Edinburgh Airport prior to or no later than 1:00pm on the scheduled arrival date of your program. For most trans-Atlantic flights, this means that you will need to depart the US the evening before.
- All students are required to check into their orientation accommodation by 3:00pm on their scheduled arrival date. Arcadia does not provide transportation from Edinburgh Airport to the orientation accommodation; however it is a short journey and Arcadia will provide full travel instructions prior to departure.
- Students are responsible for arranging transportation to the airport at the conclusion of the program.
- Please review all of the rules and regulations that apply to your ticket prior to purchase.
- If you choose to arrive early, all accommodation arrangements will be your responsibility until the scheduled arrival date for your program. Similarly, transportation and accommodation costs will be your responsibility should you choose to stay in Scotland after the program concludes.
- In the event that your flight is delayed and you are unable to check into your orientation accommodation by 3:00pm, contact Arcadia staff for further instructions.
- Once you have made your booking, you are required to complete the Online Flight Form.
Booking Your Travel
- Arcadia University partners with Student Universe to provide discounted student fares on designated Group Flights, on suggested available flights or on individual student bookings.
- To book your travel, please visit the Student Universe/Arcadia website and choose your appropriate country and program.
Advantages of Working with Student Universe
High Level of Support
- Opportunity to consult with Arcadia staff and Student Universe agents familiar with our programs and destinations.
- Knowledgeable check-in assistance at airport for large group departures
- 24/7 Call Center
- Low Student Airfare - Competitive group and individual rates
- Date Change Flexibility - Don’t get stuck with a unchangeable & nonrefundable ticket from another booking website
- Limited Additional Fees - Arcadia & Student Universe partner to keep cost to a minimum
- Comprehensive Booking - Ability to book one ticket from departure to destination, limiting baggage hassles during connections
Send Us Your Travel Arrangements