Study Abroad in Germany with Arcadia University

Ready to Go to Germany
Know Before You Go

There are many things you will need to think about before you depart for Germany. This section covers some of the basics. Please feel free to contact Amanda Zimmerman, your program manager, at any time as you prepare for your experience abroad!

In This Section:

Travel Documents for U.S. and Non-U.S. Citizens 


You will need a passport to travel to Germany.
Please visit the  U.S. State Department travel pages for the most up-to-date information regarding passport application and fees.

Allow plenty of time to apply for your passport, particularly in the busy summer months. Processing can take as long as six weeks. We recommend you apply as early as possible so that you're not caught at the last minute. For up-to-the-minute information to help plan your trip abroad, visit the State Department website. More information is available here.

Visas and Certification of Student Status

See the section on visas for more information. Requirements are contingent upon intended length of stay and status. If you are not a U.S. citizen, it is your responsibility to obtain visas and/or special entry papers or documentation required. Please contact your program manager with questions regarding the Visa process.

In accordance with employment regulations, you should not expect to work while in Germany. You must not rely on the idea that you can cover your living expenses by taking a job.


Health and Safety


Immunizations are not required for travel to Germany or to return to the US. The US Department of State recommends, however, that you check your health records to make sure your measles, mumps, rubella, polio, diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis immunizations are up to date. We strongly recommend meningitis inoculations, although they are not mandatory. For further information, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website.

Health and Accident Insurance

Special Medical Needs

If you have any medical or psychological condition that may require attention overseas from a physician or psychiatrist, please tell us about it. Because some conditions may be exacerbated or reactivated by the experience of living in a new country, you may want to report earlier conditions for which you have been treated successfully. If you have any doubt about these matters, check with your physician/psychiatrist.

Be sure to have your physician/psychiatrist prepare an adequate summary of the details of your condition so you can be properly treated by a physician/psychiatrist overseas. List all medications you regularly use, and be sure to have adequate supplies of special items. Brand names and dosages differ, and you may have difficulty tracking down the specific medication you want. Be sure all prescriptions you take with you are labeled with your name, the name of your physician and the generic name of the medication. We want you to provide us with any information that would help us assist you in an emergency.

This information will be treated confidentially and remain in our files only until you complete your Arcadia University program. We encourage students with a medical condition which might affect emergency treatment to wear a MedicAlert bracelet or pendant.

Physical and Learning Disabilities and other Special Needs

At Arcadia University we encourage students with disabilities to consider study abroad and we are committed to working with each student to find a program that suits his or her individual needs. Please keep us informed of any special needs, including dietary restrictions/preferences, physical concerns or learning disabilities, allergies and strict religious observances. Providing this information will not jeopardize your place in the program. It is much easier for us to help you if we know about your special needs ahead of time.

Health and Safety in Flight

For safety and comfort, wear loose-fitting, natural-fiber clothing during flight. Do not wear snug-fitting or heeled footwear! It is helpful to do seat exercises or to walk in the aisles in order to maintain good circulation.

It is always advisable to sleep during long flights (a flight attendant will provide you with a pillow and blanket). You should avoid alcoholic beverages in flight because they cause dehydration. The recycled air in a plane also has a drying effect, so you should drink non-alcoholic beverages regularly. If you require a special diet, notify the airline at least 24 hours before departure. If you suffer from the effects of jet lag, inquire about methods to combat this problem.


We list the following guidelines as precautionary measures, rather than to alarm you. All of the destinations we offer are located in areas that are, statistically, less crime-prone than the average American urban area. Still, it is important to protect yourself and use common sense.

Pay special attention to your wallet and important documents when using public transport. Do not place your wallet or important documents in your back pocket; be sure to drape your handbag across your chest rather than hanging it on your shoulder; keep your backpack in front of you. When walking, place your handbag on the side of your body furthest away from the street, so that people on scooters cannot ride by and grab your bag.

Americans are easy targets. We dress differently, speak loudly, carry backpacks and have a distinct accent. Thus, the people you meet may see you with stereotypical eyes – as rich as someone on television – and an occasion may arise where someone may want to become friends with you in order to obtain in one form or another your money or your passport. This has happened in the past and is a serious problem.

  • Don't stand out as a group or individual. Try to blend with your surroundings. 
  • Do not participate in political activities, angry groups, or demonstrations. 
  • Do not give out information carelessly about students or events. Do not share your address with strangers. 
  • Always be in contact with your site director and contact our in-country or Glenside office for help anytime. Keep emergency numbers handy. 
  • Know basic help phrases in the native language. 
  • Be careful of persons wanting to make your acquaintance very quickly, as they may have an ulterior motive. Meet people in public places during the day, preferably with a friend or two of yours. 
  • Avoid travel to any sensitive political areas. 
  • Remain alert and never leave your bags unattended. 
  • Do not give money to beggars or gypsies on the street.

Special Considerations for Women

A woman traveling on her own may encounter more difficulties than a man by himself. Some of the best ways to avoid hassle are to fit in and try to understand the roles of the sexes in the culture in which you are traveling and living. Flexibility means observing how the host country's women dress and behave, and following their example. What may be appropriate or friendly behavior in the US may bring you unwanted, even dangerous, attention in another culture.

Be extra careful when giving your trust. This applies generally, but is especially important when travelling alone. Avoid being out alone at night in unfamiliar territory — on the street, in parks, on trams, on trains. If, for example, at night you suddenly find yourself alone in a train car, move to another one where other people are sitting. Respect and trust have to be earned. They are not a given.

AIDS, Safe Sex and Relationships

If you are sexually active, take care of yourself and practice safe sex. Be aware that any type of relationship, whether heterosexual, bisexual or homosexual, entails the risk of a sexually-transmitted disease, AIDS or pregnancy. Entering into a relationship overseas should, therefore, be approached with the same precautions you would use at home. The charm of a once-in-a-lifetime romance in another country may be tempting, but consider any relationship carefully and remember that you are only in your host country for a short time. There are different cultural values regarding dating and relationships.

When traveling abroad, be aware that some countries may require HIV antibody tests. Travelers should also know that some countries may not have the resources to screen blood adequately or provide sterile needles or medical facilities. While health care is generally at a very high standard, we recommend that you take normal, everyday precautions to avoid putting yourself at risk. Do not use intravenous drugs. Practice safe sex. Think carefully about administration of CPR if you are trained to do so. Do not share personal care items, such as razors, with others.


Taking Care of Things at Home

Home Campus Arrangements

You should notify your study abroad advisor that you are planning to take part in an Arcadia University program and be sure to take care of any necessary paperwork before you leave campus.

Voting by Absentee Ballot

You won't want to miss the opportunity to vote if you are overseas during election time at home. Before you leave home, check with the Board of Elections at your County Court House about procedures for voting by absentee ballot. You may want to arrange for a member of your family to pick up the ballot and mail it to you. Some election boards have been known to mail ballots overseas by surface mail, which can take up to six weeks to arrive! Check the following website for more information:


LGBT Resource: Germany

The gay/lesbian scene in Germany is as substantial as it is in most cities in the US, given comparative sizes. There are prejudices to be found among some groups in Germany, as anywhere, but certainly on the campus at which the Arcadia University program runs, there is plenty of support.

For more information, see, the website for NAFSA: Association of International Educators Rainbow Special Interest Group. This site includes important considerations for LGBT students, as well as a list of books and websites.


International Calling

There are several options you may wish to consider for keeping in touch with friends and family back home. Former students have often found a combination of the below options provided them with the best opportunities overseas.

Host-country mobile - to help you integrate with locals and provide a deeper cultural inclusion, Arcadia often recommends students purchase a mobile phone after arriving in-country. During Arcadia orientation our staff will speak to the benefits of have a host-country mobile and explain how they can be purchased.

It is important to keep in mind that while these phones should help you connect with others in-country, they may not be the most cost efficient option for long conversations back to the United States.

International cell phone - many US cellular phone companies provide international phoning options, so an existing cell phone can work any where in the world. This allows you to keep your same number and contact your friends and family just as if you were home.

One thing to remember when deciding whether to bring an international cell phone is any calls to your number from new friends in-country will be made back to the United States and not local.

Skype or VOiP - phoning home over the internet is an inexpensive way to keep in touch with others. Students and their family can sign-up online prior to departing and plan ahead about when to connect.

It is important to remember that internet access, reliability and strength may be vastly different to what you are familiar with at home. Often times, students describe this difference as one of the most significant of their time abroad. Be sure to review your program’s housing information to learn if internet is provided or available.

International calling card - often the most inexpensive and manageable way to call home, International calling cards can be purchased either before departing or in-country. Calling cards allow for a specific allotment of call credit to be available for your conversations.

Telephones may not always be provided in your accommodations, so it is important to check your program’s housing information.


Time Change

You'll need to make a note of the time change so you don't call home in the middle of the night. Germany is 6 hours ahead of the US eastern time zone and 9 hours ahead of the US pacific time zone. The daylight savings time changes can alter the time difference for a week by 1 hour, so that in the spring Germany is 7 hours ahead and in the fall 5 hours ahead eastern standard time.


Vacation Travel

For those of you planning to travel before your program begins, after it ends, or during the break, we offer the following practical suggestions.


You should take a look at the many excellent travel books available in campus or local bookstores. Popular budget guides are Lonely Planet, Let's Go or Rough Guides.

Getting Around

Your Bonn Student ID will act as your ticket on public transportation. Your ID will entitle you to unlimited travel on buses, trams and some regional trains for free.

Travel is easy from one city to another in Germany and from Germany to other parts of Europe by coach (bus), train, or plane. It is important to keep on top of the news as labor strikes frequently disrupt transport services. "Local" strikes usually offer alternating transportation between bus service and train service. "National" strikes may affect all modes of transportation, but rarely last longer than a few hours or days.

There are also many student travel agencies that offer reasonably priced, group travel packages to students. Make sure to look at airline prices as well as train prices when traveling to other major cities in Europe, especially for long weekends. A round-trip ticket from Florence airport to London, (Paris, Vienna, Barcelona, etc.) can run about $200 or less. This is about the same as the train might cost you and you save a lot of time!

Rail Passes

A railpass (such as Eurail or Brit Rail) will save you money if you're planning to crisscross Europe by train for a month or two at a time. For weekend travel only, it's cheaper to pay as you go.

For travel in most Western European countries (excluding Britain), there is the Eurailpass or Eurail Youthpass. The Eurail Flexipass gives you a choice of travel days (10 or 15) within a two-month period. This is a good choice if you plan to stay in certain places for a few days. You qualify for the cheaper Youthpasses if you are 25 or younger. These railpasses must be purchased in the US from a travel agent. If you don't want to purchase a railpass before you leave, your family can purchase it for you as long as they have your passport number. Remind your family to insure the railpass when they mail it, because it is not refundable if lost.

Youth Hostel Passes

Youth hostels are inexpensive student accommodations found around the world. You can join the Youth Hostel Association in the US for about $25. It's easier to join before you depart, but you can join the Association once you arrive in Germany. Be forewarned that membership rates may vary between countries.

For further information and an application, contact: Hosteling International USA.

Pensiones and Hotels

With many guides and Internet you can also find very clean "pensiones and "2 star" hotels that are charming and have prices similar to youth hostels but offer single rooms and doubles for very reasonable prices. Sometimes you can also negotiate, if the hotel is family owned, with some of the owners for better rates if you want the room for a long stay, just remember to discuss this before you take the room, otherwise rates are fixed and posted.