Germany Housing Information
Absolutely Essential Information
Please read this information first.As a participant on an Arcadia University program, you are guaranteed housing. Your program fee includes accommodation.
Arcadia University’s priority is to provide accommodation that supports your studies and enables you to experience the local culture. Accommodation is selected by Arcadia University based on these factors, in addition to considering safety, security and cost. For these reasons, Arcadia reserves the right to alter or change accommodation options at any time.
To indicate your housing preferences, submit them using your Arcadia Passport. Before completing this form, you should review the information below as well as the Arcadia University Housing Policy located in the Student Handbook. Students are welcome to submit one roommate request; however, requests must be mutually submitted on your housing form. While we will work to honor your housing preferences and roommate requests, specific assignments cannot be guaranteed.
In order to consider your preferences, Arcadia must receive your Housing Preferences by the housing deadline. If they are received before the housing deadline, you will automatically be assigned to available program accommodations.
If you require accommodations for any special needs—including dietary, medical or physical—you should indicate this on your electronic Housing Preference Form. Any information will be treated as confidential and will only be shared with those individuals involved in your housing placement.
Although housing is guaranteed for students participating on Arcadia programs in Germany, you have the option to decline this service and find your own independent accommodations. If you decide to opt out of Arcadia-arranged program housing, please notify your program manager. You will also need to indicate this on your Housing Preference Form. In fairness to other applicants, we ask that you notify us as soon as possible so that any designated accommodation can be reallocated. If Arcadia does not receive notification before the housing deadline listed above, you will be subject to the fees as described in the Arcadia University Housing Policy.
Student accommodations afford a high degree of independence and allow you to experience university life as German students would. You will live in one of the University of Bonn dormitories in a single room with shared access kitchen facilities. In most cases, you will prepare your own meals and should be prepared for a commute to campus.
Your housing arrangement – although important – should not be the sole measure that determines your academic and personal success overseas. Observing and participating in the day-to-day activities of a German living arrangement is one of the best ways to be completely engaged with German language and culture.
Very Important Additional Points:
- Every room is different and unique and while Arcadia ensures that all rooms satisfy general standards, there is no way to guarantee uniformity of rooms, room sizes, distance from your university, furnishings or facilities.
- Germany is an environmentally friendly country and air-conditioning and central heating are not standard in a typical residence. Remember that it will take some time to adjust to the climate.
- You should typically expect a short commute from your dormitory to your classroom. Many dorms are within walking distance of campus however you may need to take the bus or tram. The cost of transportation is free with your University of Bonn Student ID.
- Wifi is available throughout the University of Bonn campus. There will also be internet access in the dormitories.
- As an Arcadia program participant, housing will remain available to you during the official program dates. However, accommodation is not available before the program start date or once the program has ended.
- Rooms are equipped with basic furniture. In many dorms you can get bed sheets though your dormitory’s management. You will need to bring towels and toiletries.
- Students must purchase kitchen equipment when they arrive, such as pots, plates, silverware, etc. Occasionally students might be able to use items left by their predecessors.
- Arcadia reserves the right to alter or change accommodation options at any time should circumstances warrant.