Study Abroad in Mallorca, Spain
- Arcadia University typically places one or two student(s) per homestay, though each student will be assigned their own bedroom. The housing staff in Mallorca will select a homestay that seeks to meet your personal preferences, needs and expectations. As a result of this, it is absolutely essential to complete the housing and Personal Health forms on Passport in a thoughtful manner.
- All students will receive housing assignments and meet their homestay families during the first few days of orientation once they have arrived in Palma. For confidentiality reasons, no student should expect to receive housing assignments with family names and addresses prior to orientation.
- Homestays provide two meals per day: breakfast plus lunch or dinner. Students are responsible for their third meal. Please see the Estimate of Additional Expenses spreadsheet on the fees page to budget for this third daily meal.
- Arcadia cannot always guarantee that all special dietary requests can be met. If you have special dietary needs, please be sure to include details in the Personal Health form and housing preference forms in Passport. The Arcadia staff in Mallorca will examine these forms carefully and work to provide reasonable accommodations to all students.
- An internet connection is not always to be expected in homestays, as it is entirely up to each individual family to have internet service at home or not. While Arcadia cannot guarantee homestay internet availability, computers and internet access (including wireless) are also available at Universitat de les Illes Balears (UIB), where you will take classes. With this said, it is recommended that students bring laptops with wall adapters for Spanish electrical sockets. You can purchase these at electronics retailers in the U.S. as well as in Spain.
- Landline phones are not available for student use. Students can easily purchase pre-paid cell phones once in Palma. Your Program Manager will send tips on how to do this during the pre-departure process and the Arcadia staff in Mallorca is also a fantastic resource to approach regarding this topic during orientation.
- Pillows, blankets, sheets and towels are provided by your homestay family.
- Students are encouraged to participate in homestay activities and to engage in meal time discussions to improve Spanish language skills and increase their knowledge of Spanish culture. Homestays are ideal for students seeking a true immersion experience, so they are encouraged to get the most out of their stay by participating as much as possible.
- Keep in mind that Arcadia cannot in any way guarantee the make-up or characteristics of your homestay family—some families have children and others do not; some families are older on average, while some may be younger. Just like in the United States, families in Spain come in all shapes and sizes, so to speak. What Arcadia can guarantee, however, is that you will be assigned a family that is experienced in hosting American and international university students in Palma de Mallorca. Like most Spaniards, these families are dedicated, generous and passionate about sharing their home and culture with our students. Nevertheless, students who elect for homestays are expected to be curious, worldly and open-minded ambassadors of their home culture to their new families.
- Homestays are located all throughout the city of Palma de Mallorca. Commute times to UIB can range from 5-35 minutes, depending on whether you walk, take the bus or use the metro. Staff will instruct you on how to navigate Palma as part of orientation.
Mallorca Summer Program | Mallorca Semester Program | General Housing