Study Abroad in Ireland with Arcadia University

Ready to Go to Ireland
Know Before You Go

There are many things you will need to think about before you depart for Ireland. This section covers some of the basics. Please feel free to contact your program manager at any time as you prepare for your experience abroad!

In This Section

Travel Documents for U.S. and Non-U.S. Citizens


You will need a passport to travel to Ireland. Please visit the U.S. State Department travel pages for the most up-to-date information regarding passport application and fees.

Passports are valid for ten years unless you applied for one before age 18 in which case it is valid for only five years. If you already have a passport, it must remain valid for the full length of your stay abroad. Immigration officials may deny you entry to Ireland if your passport will expire before the end of your program. It is not possible to renew an expired passport while overseas; therefore, your passport must be valid for the duration of your stay. You will not be allowed to leave the U.S. with a passport that will expire before your program end date.

Allow plenty of time to apply for your passport, particularly in the busy summer months. Processing can take as long as six weeks. We recommend you apply as early as possible so that you're not caught at the last minute. More information is available here.

Visas and Certification of Student Status

All U.S. semester and year students studying in The Republic of Ireland need to complete the Irish Registration Process.

U.S. citizens do not need a visa to study in the Republic of Ireland. Depending on your length of stay and country of origin, you may need one to study in Northern Ireland. Click here for United Kingdom visa information.

If you are not a U.S. citizen, it is your responsibility to obtain visas and/or special entry papers or documentation required. For further information about the Republic of Ireland, please contact:

Irish Embassy
2234 Massachusetts Avenue, NW
Washington, DC 20008
(202) 462-3939
or visit their website by
clicking here

Irish Consulate General
345 Park Avenue
51st Street
17th Floor
New York, NY 10154-0037
(212) 319-2555

Aliens' Registration
All students studying in Ireland, whether in the Republic or in Northern Ireland, will have to register their status as visiting foreigners with the appropriate authorities unless they enter the Republic or the United Kingdom on an EU passport.

All students studying in the Republic of Ireland will have to register as aliens with the local police in the community where their program is located. The process will be explained at Arcadia's orientation for newly arrived students and will be repeated at the local program orientation with specific details for that locale.

All students studying in Northern Ireland for a period longer than 3 months, or who wish to work, must have a "leave to remain" stamp on their passports. Students who enter Northern Ireland through the Republic, and many who enter through other UK ports of entry, do not automatically get this stamp. The usual way to get this stamp for those who do not receive it upon arrival is to submit your passport to the Immigration Office in Croydon, Surrey, England. The most efficient and timely way to do this is through the International Office at your host university in Northern Ireland. This process will be explained to you as part of your orientation.

Student Travelcard
Arcadia issues a Student Travelcard for all Arcadia program students at no extra charge. You will receive your card during orientation. With the Student Travelcard, you will be able to take advantage of special student travel rates and fee discounts at many museums, historic sites, and theaters.


Health & Safety

Immunizations and Allergy Immunizations

Immunizations are not required for travel to Ireland or to return to the US. The US Department of State recommends, however, that you check your health records to make sure your measles, mumps, rubella, polio, diphtheria, tetanus and pertussis immunizations are up to date. We strongly recommend meningitis inoculations, although they are not mandatory. For further information, visit the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website.

If you receive regular allergy shots, you should check with your doctor about discontinuing treatment or switching to an alternative form of medication while you are abroad. In Ireland, allergy shots may only be administered in hospitals where patients are kept under medical observation for at least two hours following treatment. Doctors do not administer allergy shots in their offices.

Health and Accident Insurance

Special Medical Needs

If you have any medical or psychological condition that may require attention overseas from a physician or psychiatrist, please tell us about it. Because some conditions may be exacerbated or reactivated by the experience of living in a new country, you may want to report earlier conditions for which you have been treated successfully. If you have any doubt about these matters, check with your physician/psychiatrist.

Be sure to have your physician/psychiatrist prepare an adequate summary of the details of your condition so you can be properly treated by a physician/psychiatrist overseas. List all medications you regularly use, and be sure to have adequate supplies of special items. Brand names and dosages differ, and you may have difficulty tracking down the specific medication you want. Be sure all prescriptions you take with you are labeled with your name, the name of your physician and the generic name of the medication. We want you to provide us with any information that would help us assist you in an emergency.

This information will be treated confidentially and remain in our files only until you complete your Arcadia University program. We encourage students with a medical condition which might affect emergency treatment to wear a MedicAlert bracelet or pendant.

Physical and Learning Disabilities and other Special Needs

At Arcadia University we encourage students with disabilities to consider study abroad and we are committed to working with each student to find a program that suits his or her individual needs. Please keep us informed of any special needs, including dietary restrictions/preferences, physical concerns or learning disabilities, allergies and strict religious observances. Providing this information will not jeopardize your place in the program. It is much easier for us to help you if we know about your special needs ahead of time. Please visit the health and safety section of our website for further information and resources.

Health and Safety in Flight

For safety and comfort, wear loose-fitting, natural-fiber clothing during flight. Do not wear snug-fitting or heeled footwear! It is helpful to do seat exercises or to walk in the aisles in order to maintain good circulation.

It is always advisable to sleep during long flights (a flight attendant will provide you with a pillow and blanket). You should avoid alcoholic beverages in flight because they cause dehydration. The recycled air in a plane also has a drying effect, so you should drink non-alcoholic beverages regularly. If you require a special diet, notify the airline at least 24 hours before departure. If you suffer from the effects of jet lag, inquire about methods to combat this problem.


We list the following guidelines as precautionary measures, rather than to alarm you. All of the destinations we offer are located in areas that are, statistically, less crime-prone than the average American urban area. Still, it is important to protect yourself and use common sense.

Americans are easy targets. We dress differently, speak loudly, carry backpacks and have a distinct accent. Thus, the people you meet may see you with stereotypical eyes – as rich as someone on television – and an occasion may arise where someone may want to become friends with you in order to obtain in one form or another your money or your passport. This has happened in the past and is a serious problem.

  • Don't stand out as a group or individual. Try to blend with your surroundings.
  • Do not participate in political activities, angry groups, or demonstrations.
  • Do not give out information carelessly about students or events. Do not share your address with strangers.
  • Always be in contact with your site director and contact our in-country or Glenside office for help anytime. Keep emergency numbers handy.
  • Know basic help phrases in the native language.
  • Be careful of persons wanting to make your acquaintance very quickly, as they may have an ulterior motive. Meet people in public places during the day, preferably with a friend or two of yours.
  • Avoid travel to any sensitive political areas.
  • Remain alert and never leave your bags unattended.

Special Considerations for Women

A woman traveling on her own may encounter more difficulties than a man by himself. Some of the best ways to avoid hassle are to fit in and try to understand the roles of the sexes in the culture in which you are traveling. Flexibility means observing how the host country's women dress and behave, and following their example. What may be appropriate or friendly behavior in the U.S. may bring you unwanted, even dangerous, attention in another culture. Try not to take offense at whistles and other gestures of appreciation, regardless of whether they are compliments, invitations, or insults. Realize that, in many countries, these gestures are as much a part of the culture as is the food, history and language.

But if a situation is dangerous - if you are made to feel uncomfortable - then act as if it is. Be extra careful when giving your trust. This applies generally, but is especially important when traveling alone. Avoid being out alone at night in unfamiliar territory - on the street, in parks, on trams, on trains. If, for example, at night you suddenly find yourself alone in a train car, move to another one where other people are sitting.

AIDS, Safe Sex and Relationships

If you are sexually active, take care of yourself and practice safe sex. Be aware that any type of relationship, whether heterosexual, bisexual or homosexual, entails the risk of a sexually-transmitted disease, AIDS or pregnancy. Entering into a relationship overseas should, therefore, be approached with the same precautions you would use at home. The charm of a once-in-a-lifetime romance in another country may be tempting, but consider any relationship carefully and remember that you are only in your host country for a short time. There are different cultural values regarding dating and relationships.

When traveling abroad, be aware that some countries may require HIV antibody tests. Travelers should also know that some countries may not have the resources to screen blood adequately or provide sterile needles or medical facilities. While health care is generally at a very high standard, we recommend that you take normal, everyday precautions to avoid putting yourself at risk. Do not use intravenous drugs. Practice safe sex. Think carefully about administration of CPR if you are trained to do so. Do not share personal care items, such as razors, with others.


Taking Care of Things at Home

Home Campus Arrangements

You should notify your study abroad advisor that you are planning to take part in an Arcadia University program and be sure to take care of any necessary paperwork before you leave campus. Remember to cancel housing and meal contracts for the time you'll be away and make arrangements to reactivate them when you return.

If registration for next year's courses on your home campus will take place while you are abroad, ensure that the appropriate arrangements are made with your registrar or study abroad advisor so that you will receive your registration materials in a timely fashion.

Some students enrolled on semester programs decide when they are overseas to stay for the full year. This is possible. While home college approval for continued study can be obtained when you are abroad, it will be much easier to make the necessary arrangements and receive preliminary approval before you leave the U.S.

If you have been accepted to a semester program but want to leave yourself the possibility of staying for the full year, consult your study abroad advisor about what you must do now to facilitate continuing your stay for a full year should you decide to do this.

Voting by Absentee Ballot

You won't want to miss the opportunity to vote if you are overseas during the fall term. Before you leave home, check with the Board of Elections at your County Court House about procedures for voting by absentee ballot. You may want to arrange for a member of your family to pick up the ballot and mail it to you. Some election boards have been known to mail ballots overseas by surface mail, which can take up to six weeks to arrive! Check the following website for more information:

Yearbook Photos

If you are studying abroad during your senior year, make arrangements for your yearbook photo before you leave home. You don't want to be left out!


LGBT Life in Ireland

Gay and lesbian life in Ireland is diverse, but perhaps rather more polarized than in Britain. Attitudes toward homosexuality range from hostile repression in certain rural communities to thriving clubs, community centers and bookstores in several cities. Dublin is considered the hub of gay culture in the Republic.

The gay/lesbian scene in Ireland continues to grow since its legalization in the North in 1982 and in the Republic in 1993. Gays and lesbians are taken seriously by all universities and there are plenty of resources available through university student unions. There are prejudices to be found among some groups in Ireland, as anywhere, but certainly on the campuses at which Arcadia University programs run, there is plenty of support.

In Dublin there is a weekly entertainment guide which includes a gay page for a listing of pubs, clubs, bookshops and organizations. Look for it at the Well Fed Cafe, Temple Bar Information Centre.

The following organizations and help lines are staff by knowledgeable and friendly people:

  • National Lesbian and Gay Feberation (NLGF), 2 Scarlet Row, Temple Bar, Dublin 2; Email:, Tel +353 1 671 0939
  • Union of Students in Ireland LGB Rights Officer, Union of Students in Ireland, Ceann Áras na MacLéinn, Grattan Street, Dublin 2 (tel +353 1 435 3400; fax 435 3450) The Union of Students in Ireland (USI) represents over 250,000 students in over 50 third-level institutions around the island, north and south. The LGBRO provides support and information to individual students, LGB societies and Students' Unions. The officer runs an LGB awareness campaign in all member colleges and provides training on LGB issues for students and their SU officers.
  • Outhouse, 105 Capel Street, Dublin 1 (tel +353 1 873 4932; fax 873 4933), See for full information.

For more information, see the website for NAFSA: Association of International Educators Rainbow Special Interest Group. You can also find information in the Berkeley and Let's Go guides as well as "Are You Two . . . Together?", a gay and lesbian travel guide to Europe by Lindsy Van Gelder and Pamla Robin-Brandt.


International Calling

There are several options you may wish to consider for keeping in touch with friends and family back home. Former students have often found a combination of the below options provided them with the best opportunities overseas.

Host-country mobile—to help you integrate with locals and provide a deeper cultural inclusion, Arcadia often recommends students purchase a mobile phone after arriving in-country. During Arcadia orientation our staff will speak to the benefits of have a host-country mobile and explain how they can be purchased. It is important to keep in mind that while these phones should help you connect with others in-country, they may not be the most cost efficient option for long conversations back to the United States.

International cell phone— many US cellular phone companies provide international phoning options, so an existing cell phone can work any where in the world. This allows you to keep your same number and contact your friends and family just as if you were home. One thing to remember when deciding whether to bring an international cell phone is any calls to your number from new friends in-country will be made back to the United States and not local.

Skype or VOiP—phoning home over the internet is an inexpensive way to keep in touch with others. Students and their family can sign-up online prior to departing and plan ahead about when to connect. It is important to remember that internet access, reliability, and strength may be vastly different to what you are familiar with at home. Often times, students describe this difference as one of the most significant of their time abroad. Be sure to review your program's housing information to learn if internet is provided or available.

International calling card— often the most inexpensive and manageable way to call home, International calling cards can be purchased either before departing or in-country. Calling cards allow for a specific allotment of call credit to be available for your conversations. Telephones may not always be provided in your accommodations, so it is important to check your program's housing information.


Time Change

You'll need to make a note of the time change so you don't call home in the middle of the night. Ireland is five hours ahead of our Eastern Standard Time for most of the year. Ireland switches to and from daylight savings time before we do, so for a couple of weeks in March and April, Ireland is six hours ahead of E.S.T. And during most of October, Ireland is four hours ahead of the U.S. east coast. (Add one, two or three hours to these figures in Central, Mountain or Pacific time zones.)


Vacation Travel

If you plan to travel through Europe before, after or during your time in Ireland, we offer the following practical suggestions.

If you plan on traveling through Europe before the program begins, you may want to arrange a stopover in Dublin. You can store most of your luggage at the airport before continuing on to your final destination. It's easier to carry one backpack while your non-essential bags are in a convenient place for your return.


Returning students tell us they couldn't have gotten by without Let's Go Europe. Other popular budget travelers guides are Lonely Planet and Berkeley Guides. You can use the costs listed in these guides to help you budget for vacation travel expenses.


During designated orientation meetings, we will give you a Student Travelcard which is good for substantial discounts on travel. A railpass (such as Eurail, Inter Rail or Brit Rail) will save you money if you're planning to crisscross Europe by train for a month or two at a time. For weekend travel only, it's cheaper to pay as you go.

For travel in most Western European countries (excluding the UK), there is the Eurailpass or Eurail Youthpass. You qualify for the cheaper Youthpasses if you are 25 or younger. These railpasses must be purchased in the US from a travel agent.

The Eurail Flexipass gives you a choice of travel days (10 or 15) within a two month period. This is a good choice if you plan to stay in certain places for a few days. You can also buy a Eurail pass for 15 days, 21 days or one month of consecutive travel.

If you don't want to purchase a railpass before you leave, your family can purchase it for you as long as they have your passport number. Remind your family to insure the railpass when they mail it, because it is not refundable if lost.

Full year students will qualify for the Inter Rail pass once they have resided in Northern Ireland or the Republic for at least six months. You can purchase this railpass at student travel agencies on campuses and major rail stations in Ireland.

Youth Hostel Passes

Youth hostels are inexpensive student accommodations found around the world. You can join the Youth Hostel Association in the US for $25. It's easier to join before you depart, but you can join the Association once you arrive in Ireland. Be forewarned that membership rates may vary between countries. For further information contact Hostelling International USA.