Preliminary Course Instructions
Course Load and Credits
You are required to maintain a full-time course load throughout your semester at RMIT. A full-time course load is defined by Arcadia University as 14-16 U.S. semester hours of credit; this is the equivalent of 48 units at RMIT. Refer to the credit translation scale below when selecting your courses:
|Australian University Credit Point Units
||U.S. University Semester Hours of Credit
Choosing Your Courses
You should include 6-8 courses on your Preliminary Course Form to allow for scheduling changes, time conflicts, prerequisites or cancellations. Your flexibility is very important to the process.
When selecting your courses from the university's website, you should be aware of some differences in terminology:
||School or College
From the RMIT website, https://www.international.rmit.edu.au/info/programfees.asp:
- Using the search function, set the search criteria to search for a list of courses:
- From the “Choose your study level” drop down menu, select the level of study you wish to study (ie. Bachelors/Associate Degree).
Please ensure you have checked the relevant pre-requisites.
- From the “Choose an interest area” drop down menu, select the interest area that relates to the program you are currently studying at your home institution or the area you are interested in studying.
- From the “Choose a year” drop down menu, select the year you intend to study at RMIT.
- Click ‘Search’ – You will now be presented with a list of all of the programs available. Browse the list and find a program that interests you and click on the link for that program. This will take you through to an overview of the program selected.
- Click on the drop down section ‘Features’. This will give you an overview of the programs courses and will show the link ‘following program structure(s)’.
- Click ‘following program structure(s)’ , located at the end of the list of courses – This will take you to the current enrollment structure for the chosen program and is an indication of what will be taught the following year. Here you will find all of the courses that make up the chosen program as well as:
- in which year of the program they are taught
- whether the courses have pre-requisites
- the course code
- which campus the course it taught on
- whether the course is taught in semester one, two or both.
- Find a course that interests you and click on the link for that course. This will take you through to a full description of the course you have chosen.
- In this course overview you will also see what the course pre-requisites are if applicable.
RMIT will review your Preliminary Course form for approval and your Program Manager will email your course approvals to you. Each faculty (department) at RMIT must review your course selections so this process may take a few weeks.
You will not be able to enroll in your courses and finalized your timetable until orientation. During orientation, RMIT will hold Enrollment Information Sessions where advisors will be on hand to assist you with the enrollment process. Be sure to bring an updated copy of your official transcript to these orientation sessions.
The Arcadia University Australia Centre requires that you enroll in only one 100-level type course for the semester. To enroll in additional 100-level courses, you must appeal your timetable with the Director of Australia Operations during orientation.
It is your responsibility to make sure that you are registered for a full academic load according to your home school. Please review your course choices with your academic or study abroad advisor, and submit the online course registration form to The College of Global Studies at Arcadia University.
Every effort will be made to place you in the courses you originally request. However, neither RMIT nor The College of Global Studies can guarantee approval or placement in any course. Your first choices may not be available due to schedule changes, time conflicts or cancellations. Alternate course approval and flexibility is extremely important.
Other Important Points
Additional course fees may be associated with some of your overseas course work (i.e. courses that include laboratory work, field excursions or theater trips).
In some cases, RMIT will request that you submit syllabi or an updated official transcript. Please have this information available should we need to contact you for this material.
If you are interested in enrolling in studio art, graphic art, art media production, drama, dancing or music courses, you will need to submit a portfolio or audition tape to support your application. Because your work will be sent to RMIT, we are unable to return the portfolio.
Arcadia University does not issue pass/fail grades for work completed overseas. If you intend to enroll in a unit that is assessed pass/fail, please contact Arcadia University to discuss the procedures associated with the grade translation.