Northern Ireland Arrival Information
Program Arriving Flight Details
There is no group flight organized for the programs to Northern Ireland, so you are required to book your own round-trip flight to Dublin. Arcadia recommends that you consider booking your flights through our travel provider Student Universe (click the link below.)
Please Note: All students participating in programs in Northern Ireland will have their Arcadia orientation in Dublin, Republic of Ireland. It is absolutely essential, however, that you travel first to a United Kingdom port of entry (London, Belfast, Edinburgh, etc.,) before travelling to Dublin for orientation. You will not be able to obtain proper immigration clearances if you travel directly to the Republic of Ireland from the USA. Failure to secure the proper passport stamp will affect your ability to remain in-country for the duration of your time abroad.
When Can I Arrive?
Students studying for 6 months or less who enter on a Student Visitor Visa will be permitted a total stay of 6 months in the United Kingdom. You are able to arrive early and/or stay in the UK after your program concludes, as long as your total time in the UK does not exceed 6 months.
Students studying for 6 months or less who are required to apply for a Tier 4 Student Visa (for example: internship program participants): Please do not arrive in the UK more than one week prior to your program start date. Tier 4 Student Visas are not valid before this time and you will not be able to enter the UK under the correct immigration status. If you plan to arrive in the UK more than one week prior to your program start date, you will need to leave the UK and re-enter within one week of the start date in order to obtain the correct visa stamp and immigration status. (You will not be able to travel to/from the Republic of Ireland in order to obtain these.) You will be permitted to stay in the UK for no more than 7 days after your program concludes.
Students studying for more than 6 months on a Tier 4 Student Visa can arrive up to one month before their classes begin. You will be permitted to stay in the UK for up to one month after your program concludes.
What to Expect When I Arrive?
When booking your flight, please keep the following in mind:
- The mandatory Arcadia Orientation for all students studying in Northern Ireland will take place in Dublin. After the Arcadia orientation finishes, transportation to your host institution will be provided by Arcadia.
- Students who arrive at Dublin Airport (DUB) by 8:30 am on the scheduled arrival date will be eligible for group transportation from the airport to their orientation accommodation. For most trans-Atlantic flights, this means that you will need to depart the US the evening before. (If you are unable to find a flight that arrives before 8:30 am, you may wish to consider arriving a day early. See below for details.)
- If you plan to arrive prior to the scheduled arrival date listed on your program calendar, you are welcome to stay for free at the orientation accommodation site the night before orientation starts. Please note that if you decide to arrive early, you will be responsible for making your own way from the airport to the orientation venue.
- All students on programs in Northern Ireland must arrange to travel first to a United Kingdom port of entry (London, Belfast, Edinburgh, etc.) before travelling to Dublin for orientation. Because it will be very difficult to get a flight from a UK airport to Dublin Airport that arrives before 8:30 am, we recommend that you plan to arrive a day early to allow plenty of time to travel from the UK to Dublin for orientation.
- You are expected to meet the Arcadia staff at 12:00 pm (noon) at the orientation venue on the scheduled day of arrival, regardless of how you travel into the city. Attendance is mandatory for your local orientation in Dublin.
- Students are responsible for arranging transportation to the airport at the conclusion of the program.
- Please review all of the rules and regulations that apply to your ticket prior to purchase.
- In the event that your flight arrival is delayed past 8:30 am, or you do not arrive in Dublin on your scheduled arrival date, or if you miss the group transportation for any reason, you will need to proceed to your orientation accommodation independently and at your own expense. Directions to the accommodation site will be emailed to all students a couple of weeks prior to departure.
- If you choose to arrive more than one day before the scheduled arrival date, accommodation and transportation will be your responsibility. Similarly, accommodation costs will be your responsibility should you choose to stay in Northern Ireland after the program concludes.
- Once you have made your booking, you are required to complete the Online Flight Form.
Arcadia University partners with Student Universe to provide discounted student fares on designated Group Flights or on suggested available flights, or on individual bookings.