Financing Study Abroad
for Arcadia Students

Tuition  |  Program Fees  |  Cost of Living  |  Scholarships


One of the most important considerations you will need to take involves finances. Airfare and cost of living are two crucial expense points. The decision regarding finances is complex and there are many things to consider. Below are the basic facts about fees and financial aid for Arcadia University students planning to study abroad.

If you study abroad on an Arcadia University program through The College of Global Studies (TCGS) or the Alliance for Global Education, all your financial aid (except university work study and resident assistant stipends) can be used toward the program costs. Calculation of your aid package will be based on the regular full-time resident student budget.

Full-time, resident undergraduates in an affiliated program are charged the following fees for study at the Glenside campus during 2012-2013:

  Year Semester
Tuition and Fees $35,620 $17,810
Room 8,860 4,430
Board (Meal Plan) 3,470 1,735
TOTAL $47,950 $23,975

Program Fees

Arcadia University students who participate in affiliated programs whose published fees do not include board or a meal plan will be charged the Glenside fees for tuition, fees and room. For 2012-2013, these are:

  • Year: $44,480
  • Semester (or single term or two-term): $22,240

Program Fee Includes:

  • Tuition and fees
  • Room 
  • Health Insurance 
  • Orientation 
  • Administrative and Support Services

Program Fee Does Not Include: 

  • Airfare
  • Passport/Visa Fees
  • Books
  • Local Transportation
  • Personal Expenses

Arcadia University students in affiliated programs that provide a semester-long home stay or meal plan (eg. Granada, Spain) are charged $47,950 a full year or $23,975 for a semester. These figures also apply for the affiliated program offered through Hollins University in Paris, as students reside with local families, and will apply for any program in which the student resides for the semester with a host family.

Other charges imposed by the program (usually for supplemental housing, special course fees, meal plans and extra activities) will be posted to your student account after you arrive overseas. AU students in programs with a required meal plan will be charged either the actual cost (like all other CGS students) or $1,735/semester (like all resident students on the Glenside campus for 12-13). Students are responsible for reading information provided on the TCGS housing website and sharing this with the individual(s) who finance(s) their university education. If there are questions, students are required to check with their program manager in TCGS. Your TCGS program manager has information about which programs have required meal plans and the likelihood of special course fees or supplemental housing fees.

If you are participating in an Arcadia program whose published fee is lower than the cost of Arcadia University tuition, fees and room (as indicated on the previous page), one of the following paragraphs applies to you:

  • If you receive no Arcadia University institutional financial aid, please contact James Adams in the Business office. He will adjust your account to reflect the lower fee.
  • If you receive Arcadia University institutional financial aid*, you must decide whether to pay the fee stated on the first page of this document and apply your Arcadia University aid to it, or to pay the lower TCGS fee and forfeit your Arcadia University aid. Please note that, regardless of your decision, all federal, state and other external financial support may be used in full for approved overseas study. Please contact Holly Kirkpatrick in Financial Aid if you want to discuss whether a decision to forfeit your Arcadia University aid and pay the lower TCGS fee is appropriate for you. 
    *Arcadia University institutional financial aid includes, but is not limited to, Arcadia University Distinguished Scholarship, the President’s Scholarship, the Arcadia Leadership Award, Arcadia University Achievement Award, Alumni Legacy Grant, the Charlotte W. Newcombe Foundation Scholarship, Writing Achievement Award, the Campus Achievement Award and the Arcadia University Grant.

It is important that you understand this information and the Arcadia University policies it embodies. General questions about the cost of living overseas, about administrative procedures for AU students studying abroad, and about the experiences of students who have been where you are going should be discussed with staff in the Office of International Affairs and/or The College of Global Studies. The program manager in the TCGS office can answer specific questions about your program. TCGS is located at 1601 Church Road, just past the Manor.

If you study abroad in an approved affiliated program at Ewha University, Hollins-France or UPAEP, all of your institutional, federal, state and other external financial aid may be applied to your program cost. Follow procedures outlined on the website for the Office of International Affairs:

If you study abroad on a non-affiliated program, Arcadia’s institutional aid does not apply, but it is possible that federal, state and other external financial aid may apply. This depends on several factors, so it is the student’s responsibility to consult OIA and the Financial Aid office before an application is submitted to the program.

If you have questions about payment of fees or the $500 non-refundable deposit, please call the One-Stop Shop.

Cost of Living in a Host Country

Another thing to consider is the cost of living in your country. The College of Global Studies has many great resources on their website to help you understand how much things will cost. First, take a look at CGS's Preparing To Go Web site. Then find the page for the country you are interested in. The financial matters page will give you plenty of information on how much things costs in your host country, how banking works, and how to prepare a budget for studying abroad. Also, both the Office of International Affairs and CGS can put you in touch with students who have just returned from studying abroad at your chosen program. They can give you tons of up to date information on how much things really cost.

One thing you should consider is the exchange rate. For example, in September of 2008, one British pound was worth almost 1.8 United States dollars. So, if you were going to visit England with  $20.00 in your pocket, when you exchanged money you would have just £10.00! Exchanges rates are always changing so it is important that you research the current rate for your overseas destination before you go. Studying abroad in the United Kingdom can be affordable, you just need to plan ahead and budget your money carefully. Cost of living and exchange rates are definitely things you should be aware of as you make your decision to study abroad.

Finally, think about how much money you can reasonably expect to have while you are abroad. Do you have enough time to take a summer job to put some money away? Are you working the semester before? It is always a good idea to know how much money you are going to have before you go abroad. You should remember to consider the cost of eating out, going to movies, socializing, traveling, buying books, clothes and toiletries. Try to think of everything! Again, don’t forget to look at CGS's Preparing to Go Web site for tips, and budgeting help. And of course, involve your parents!


Many students and their parents want to explore additional scholarship opportunities. The Office of International Affairs has plenty of resources which you can use to search for scholarship opportunities. You will also find some resources on our Useful Links page, for searching online. Below we have listed some opportunities that we think all students should take a look at. There are dozens of resources on the Web including:


The Benjamin A Gilman International Scholarship Program: The Gilman program offers study abroad scholarships to U.S. undergraduate students who are currently receiving a Pell Grant as part of their tuition package. This federally sponsored scholarship provides up to $5,000 for a semester or academic year and is available only to U.S. citizens and nationals. There are also summer scholarships available for Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math majors. The application requires transcripts, certification by your study abroad advisor, and an essay regarding your chosen program, and academic and professional goals. Please note that the Office of International Affairs must receive your Gilman essays at least two weeks before the scholarship deadline in order to approve you.

Boren Scholarships:  These scholarships are available to sophomore, juniors and seniors who are interested in studying the language, politics, and/or culture of a geographic location of vital interest to U.S. security.

Bowman Scholarships: Travel grants provide assistance to students studying abroad in non-traditional destinations (NOT Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Andorra, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Greece, Iceland, Ireland, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Monaco, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, San Marino, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, or the United Kingdom). The deadline for summer and fall is March 15; deadline for spring is mid-October.

Bridging Scholarships:  These are available to students who wish to study in Japan.  The scholarship covers travel and living expenses and applicants must be a U.S. citizen.

Freeman Asia: Freeman Asia scholarships are awarded to applicants studying in Cambodia, China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Japan, Korea, Laos, Macao, Malaysia, Mongolia, Philippines, Singapore, Taiwan, Thailand, or Vietnam. These scholarships are available to undergraduates with demonstrated financial need who have not studied abroad in any of the countries before, and who will be willing to submit a report on their experience upon their return. Awards are up to $5,000 for a semester and $7,000 for a year abroad.

The Rotary Club and other charitable organizations: Charitable organizations, such as the Rotary Club, often have scholarships for students studying abroad that they do not advertise to the public. Do you or a family member belong to the Lions Club, Key Club, Shiners, Masonic Lodge, and Daughters of the American Revolution or similar organizations? Do you or a family member belong to an organization, which celebrates your ethnic or religious heritage? Do you volunteer for a charity organization? If so, you may want to write a letter to the club or organizations leadership, letting them know of your plans to study abroad and see if they can sponsor you.

Sons of St. George: Competitive scholarship for students who study in English universities, are of English heritage and a resident in Philadelphia or its surrounding counties. Contact The College of Global Studies at 215-572-2901 for further details.

The St. Andrew's Society of Philadelphia: A $17,000 annual award for academic year's study at the University of Edinburgh, St. Andrews, Aberdeen or Glasgow. Arcadia's internal deadline is February 15. Applicants must be in top 25% of class, full-time and a U.S. citizen.

Phi Kappa Phi: A $1,000 grant competition for students with a minimum GPA of 3.5 and earned 56-90 credits as of the February 18  deadline.

Vira Heinz Award: Applications will be available for summer 2011 overseas research awards from Kay Kalenga, Academic Adviser, in Taylor 114A, or by calling 215-517-2313. Eligible students are full-time sophomore women who maintain an 3.0 GPA at Arcadia University. Deadline for application is in November. The award includes a $5,000 stipend.


Read because Arcadia Study Abroad Blog

The English Language Institute

International Affairs

Easton Hall, Room 244

Phone: 215-572-2867

Fax: 215-517-2399

Mailing Address:
Arcadia University
Office of International Affairs
450 S. Easton Road
Glenside, PA 19038