Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts in Chemistry
Chemistry majors will take 56-64 credits as listed below, plus University-wide requirements and electives to total 128 credits.
The Bachelor of Arts includes three areas of concentration:
- Concentration in Chemical Professions: Designed for students who expect to qualify for positions in chemistry, chemical allied professions such as information retrieval or scientific librarian, and secondary school teaching (with the courses required for certification).
- Concentration in Health Professions: Designed for students interested in medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, podiatry, optometry and the paramedical professions.
- Concentration in Forensic Science: Designed for students who intend to pursue graduate study in Arcadia's Forensic Science program.
Common Curriculum for All Concentrations
(32 credits. Substitutions in keeping with a student's intended career may be made with the approval of the Department Chair.)
1. Five courses in Chemistry:
- CH 111, 112 Conceptual Chemistry
or CH 101, 102
- CH 201, 202 Organic Chemistry I, II: Structure, Mechanisms and Reactions
- CH 203 Equilibrium and Analysis
2. Two courses in Physics from the following:
- PH 201, 202 Fundamental Concepts of Physics I, II
or PH 211, 212 Conceptual Physics I, II
- MA 201 Calculus I or MA 202 Calculus II
3. One course in Mathematics
- CH 303 Biochemistry
- CH 304 Instrumental Methods of Analysis I
- CH 305 Inorganic Chemistry
- CH 306 Advanced Organic Chemistry
- CH 307 Polymers and Biopolymers
- CH 333 Statistical Thermodynamics
- CH 351 Quantum Chemistry and Chemical Physics
- CH 389 Chemical Research
- PH 324 Atomic Physics
- PH 325 Advanced Engineering Mathematics I
- PH 326 Advanced Engineering Mathematics II
- PH 331 Engineering Mechanics
- CS 104 The Computer as a Tool
- MA 202, 203 Calculus II, III
- MA 221 Linear Algebra
- MA 352 Differential Equations
- MA 356 Numerical Analysis
- PL 160 Symbolic Logic
In addition to the common curriculum, students must select one of the following concentrations:
Chemical Professions (24 additional credits):
- A minimum of four additional Chemistry electives, including CH 490 Chemistry Seminar.
- A minimum of two electives in other science fields.
Health Professions (32 additional credits):
- Six courses in Biology.
- A minimum of two additional Chemistry electives, including CH 490 Chemistry Seminar.
Forensic Science (32 additional credits):
- Six courses in Biology (including BI 101, BI 102, BI 204, BI 321, BI 325, and BI 333)
- A minimum of two additional Chemistry electives (including CH 490 and either CH 303, CH 304, or CH 307)