Dr. Lauretta Bushar
Associate Professor and Chair of Biology
Dr. Lauretta Bushar received her B.A. in Biology from Lehigh University, her M.A. in Education from Lehigh University, and her Ph.D. in Biology from Bryn Mawr College. Postdoctoral education included research at the Wistar Institute (Philadelphia, Pa.) and the Conservation Research Center (Front Royal, Va.). At Arcadia University, Dr. Bushar held the Stacy Anne Vitetta Professorship (1996-1998). The research interests of Dr. Bushar focus on the genetic variation of populations of threatened and endangered snake species. Utilizing techniques of DNA analysis, her work deals with the genetic variation of widely distributed populations of the timber rattlesnake, Crotalus horridus, in the northeastern United States and the neotropical rattlesnake, Crotalus unicolor, on the island of Aruba in the Dutch West Indies.
- Reinert, H.K., W. F. Munroe, C. E. Brennan, M. N. Rach, S. Pelesky, L.M. Bushar. In press. "Response of Timber Rattlesnakes to Commercial Logging Operations." The Journal of Wildlife Management.
- Reinert, H. K., L. M. Bushar, G. Rocco, and R. A. Odum. 2008. "The ecology of the Aruba Island Rattlesnake, Crotalus unicolor." The Biology of Rattlesnakes, W. K. Hayes, K. R. Beaman, M. D. Cardwell, and S. P. Bush, eds. Loma Linda University Press, Loma Linda, CA.
- Reinert, H.K., Bushar, L.M., Rocco, G., & Odum, R.A. (2007). The ecology of the Aruba Island Rattlesnake, Crotalus unicolor. In Hayes, W. K., Beaman, K.R., Cardwell, M.D., & Bush, S.P., (Eds.), The Biology of Rattlesnakes, Loma Linda University Press, Loma Linda, CA.
- Reinert, H.K., Bushar, L.M., Rocco, G.L., Goode, M., & Odum, R.A. (2002). "Distribution of the Aruba Island Rattlesnake, Crotalus unicolor, on Aruba, Dutch West Indies." Caribbean Journal of Science, 38:126-128.
- Bushar, L.M., Maliga, M., & Reinert, H.K. (2001). "Cross-species amplification of Crotalus horridus microsatellites and their application in phylogenetic analysis." Journal of Herpetology, 35:532-537.
- Bushar, L.M., Reinert, H.K., Gelbert, L. 1998, "Genetic Variation and Gene Flow Within and Between Local Populations of the Timber Rattlesnake, Crotalus horridus," Copeia 2: 411-422)
- Bricker, J., Bushar, L.M., Reinert, H.K., & Gelbert, L. (1996). Purification of high quality DNA from shed skin. Herp. Review 27(3):133-134.
- Villarreal, X., Bricker, J., Reinert, H.K., Gelbert, L., Bushar, L.M. 1996. "Isolation and Characterization of Microsattelite Loci for Use in Population Genetic Analysis in the Timber Rattlesnake, Crotalus Horridus." J. Heredity 87(2):152-155.
Pennsylvania Fish & Boat Commission; Pennsylvania Department of Conservation; Natural Resources Wild Resource Conservation Fund.