Marc I. Brasof
Instructor, Department of Leadership for Equity and Excellence in Education
Marc Brasof, M.Ed., is an Instructor in the Leadership for Educational Equity and Excellence in Education Department in the School of Education.
Mr. Brasof’s teaching and research focuses on social studies and civics education and educational leadership. Prior to joining Arcadia, Mr. Brasof served as a graduate assistant at Temple University, teaching courses in methods in social studies; advanced methods; and courses on culture and community, curriculum instruction and technology in education. While at Temple, Mr. Brasof co-led the Cultural Fieldwork Initiative, Philadelphia’s first university-cultural institution internship for pre-service social studies student. Mr. Brasof’s most recent secondary teaching experience includes a number of years on the faculty of Constitution High School, a magnet civics high school in Philadelphia, PA, as lead social studies instructor. He also is the Education Fellow at the National Constitution Center, board member of Pennsylvania Council for Social Studies and PhilaSoup, and Assistant Director for Development and Conference Planning for the New Democratic Ethnical Educational Leadership Professional Network.
Mr. Brasof has received several awards, including 2012 Pennsylvania Council for Social Studies Outstanding Program of Excellence Award; the 2011 Pennsylvania Council for Social Studies Outstanding Social Studies Project Award; the 2011 New Democratic Ethical Educational Leadership Award for Outstanding Contribution; and the 2009 Christian R. and Mary F. Lindback Award for Distinguished High School Educators.
He is pursuing his doctorate in Education Leadership at Temple University and holds a Masters of Education in Secondary Social Studies from the University of Pennsylvania’s Graduate School of Education and a B.S. in Business Administration from the University of Pittsburgh’s College of Business Administration. He holds PA certifications in secondary social studies and principal certification and is pursuing a superintendent’s letter of eligibility.
- Woyshner, C., Reidell, A., Brasof, M. (March 2013). “The cultural fieldwork initiative: Collaboration for a better education.”Journal of American History.
- Brasof, M. (Summer 2012). “A hands on approach to civic literacy.” Social Studies Journal Special Themed Issue: Social Studies and Literacy-A Natural Connection.
- Brasof, M. (2013). “A Curricular Schism within the Era of Accountability.” In Gross S.J. & Shapiro, J.P. Ethical Educational Leadership in Turbulent Times. Erlbuam/Routledge.
- Brasof, M. & National Constitution Center. (2011). We the School. Philadelphia, PA: National Constitution Center.
- National Council for Social Studies 2012: Documenting Race: Teaching AfrAmer History and Education and Community Building: Enhancing Pre-service Education through Cultural Fieldwork.
- Temple University’s panelist for Tasting Freedom panel on Teaching Black History, 4/18/12
- Temple University’s panelist for the American Teacher documentary and post-screening discussion, 4/3/12