Minor in Arts Entrepreneurship and Curatorial Studies
The minor in Arts Entrepreneurship and Curatorial Studies offers students hands-on, practical, field experience to propel them toward careers as professional artists, curators, members of non-profit arts organizations, or creative enterprise commercial business owners.
The minor explores the current hybrid nature of arts-related careers (e.g. careers as curators, artists, business owners, administrators, etc.) and support the values and realities behind the impulse to address the professional synthesis of arts administration, exhibition making, scholarship, production and marketing.
Students who want to minor in Studio Art should consult with the Department Chair. BFA and BA art & design majors can only double count two courses when completing this minor. The remainder of the requirements for the minor must be completed in addition to the requirements for the normal BA or BFA degrees in studio art, art history, scientific illustration and art therapy.
1. One (1) of the following Art History courses (4 credits)
- AH111 Renaissance to Modern Art
- AH112 Egyptian to Medieval Art
2. One (1) of the following Studio Art courses (3 credits)
- FA102 Studio Art Foundations I
- FA103 Studio Art Foundations II
- FA104 Drawing I
3. Three (3) of the following courses (12 credits)
Prerequisites: One of the following: AH111 or AH112; and one of the following: FA102, FA103, or FA104; and for FA229: permission of instructor.
- AH323 Contemporary Curatorial Practice
- FA229 The Artist and The Exhibition: Gallery Practicum
- US250 Exploring Art in Philadelphia
- US280 Entrepreneurship in the Arts
- US285 Arts & Culture Leadership and Management (pending approval)
4. Apprenticeship (4 Credits) - Students can do one 4 credit or two 2 credit apprenticeships.
Prerequisites: Course work for the particular field of study must be completed prior to signing up for apprenticeships. For example, a student signing up for a Curatorial Apprenticeship must first complete AH323 Contemporary Curatorial Practice. Prerequisites for each apprenticeship are listed below in parentheses)
- AH378 Curatorial Apprenticeship (Prerequisite: AH323 Contemporary Curatorial Practice)
- FA378 Entrepreneurship Apprenticeship (Studio) (Prerequisite: US280 Entrepreneurship in the Arts or US285 Arts & Culture Leadership and Management)
- FA378 Gallery Apprenticeship (Prerequisite: FA229 The Artist and The Exhibition: Gallery Practicum)
- AH378 Art History Apprenticeship (Prerequisite(s): AH111 Renaissance to Modern Art and/or AH112 Egyptian to Medieval Art)