Financial Aid Opportunities for Graduate Students

Graduate students not enrolled in one of our four full-time graduate programs have the option of attending on a part-time or full-time basis.  Typically, students must be matriculating in a degree  program (master's or doctorate) to receive federal aid, and must be taking at least 6 credits/semester (or 6 credits over the course of all summer session combined).  Students enrolled in a certificate program independent of a degree program MAY be eligible for federal aid if they are in an Arcadia certificate program through which Arcadia awards the actual certificate. Those enrolled in a certification program through which P.D.E. (Pennsylvania Dept. of Education) alone confers certification will be eligible for federal aid only if they are pursuing a first/initial teacher certification.  Those pursuing certification beyond an initial teacher certification independent of a degree program, or those pursuing supervisory certification or endorsements independent of a degree program may not be eligible for federal aid.  Federal financial aid is not available for students enrolled in the following certificate programs: Principal K-12, Superintendent, Child and Family Therapy, Educational Leadership and Family Planning Services.  Please call 215-572-4034 for additional information. 


While no grant or scholarship aid is available through the college, the federal government or the state, students are encouraged to research outside scholarships, grants and low-interest loans at a library or check out the FREE scholarship search site

Federal TEACH Grant

***Please note: As a result of the Federal Sequester, TEACH Grants must be reduced by 7.2%.  Visit for more information.***

This federal grant program is designed to benefit prospective teachers.  To receive this award, which has an annual maximum amount of $4,000 and is pro-rated based on enrollment status, students must be currently completing coursework necessary to begin a career in teaching, or plan on completing coursework necessary to begin a career in teaching. More about the TEACH Grant.

Student Loans

Federal Direct Stafford Loans

A Federal Direct Stafford Loan is available to matriculating graduate students taking at least 6 credits/semester, regardless of financial need.  Graduate students can borrow up to $20,500 annually in a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan (interest would accrue during in-school/grace period) although students can choose to capitalize the interest upon repayment.

Federal Direct Stafford Loans for graduate students have an interest rate of 5.41% for loans disbursed July 1, 2013 through June 30, 2014.  Loans will be "variable-fixed," meaning students would receive a new rate with each new loan, but then that rate would be fixed for the life of the loan.  Federal Direct Stafford Loans with a first disbursement that is on or after March 1, 2013 will have a 1.072% origination fee deducted by the Federal government.  Example:  A student borrows a $20,500 Federal Direct Stafford Loan for the year.  Net proceeds a student will receive on a $20,500 Stafford Loan=$20,285 split over two or three disbursements, once the 1.05% origination fee is deducted. 

Typically, provided all paperwork is complete, federal loan funds disburse to students' accounts ten days before the semester begins, with the exception of some summer loans for part-time graduate students, which may be issued in two disbursements.*  Loan amounts are pro-rated by semester. 

Satisfactory Academic Progress Guidelines for Title IV (Federal) Aid

Students must meet certain quantitative (credits successfully completed) and qualitative standards to be eligible for Title IV aid from semester to semester.  Please review the Graduate Title IV Satisfactory Academic Progress Policy carefully.

Receipt of Loan Funds:

*Note: For those part-time graduate students taking one course each summer session, because half-time enrollment is required, any summer loan funds will be issued in two disbursements.  The first disbursement will occur 10 days before summer session 1 and the second disbursement will occur on the first day of classes for summer session 2.  If a credit is created on student's account after tuition for ALL summer sessions is deducted (includes tuition for future summer sessions student is registered for), a refund will be issued within 2 weeks of the credit appearing on the students account.Please review the summer tuition refund policy for summer courses one withdraws from at   

To Apply for a Federal Direct Stafford Loan for the 2013-14 year (summer 2013, fall 2013, spring 2014):


1.  Submit the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) on-line.  Apply for a federal PIN first to serve as your e-signature.

2.  Submit the Arcadia Financial Aid Application for Graduate Students on-line. 

3.  Complete a Graduate Student Federal Direct Stafford Loan Acceptance Form at

4.  Complete the Federal Direct Stafford Loan MPN* at   Federal pin number required.

5.  Complete a Federal Direct Stafford Loan Entrance Counseling Session* at

*Required only for first-time Federal Direct Stafford Loan borrowers.

Federal Direct GradPLUS Loans

These federal, educational loans are available to credit-worthy graduate students enrolled at least half-time, regardless of financial need, and are borrowed directly through the University and the U.S. Department of Education (no lender/bank required) once one's Stafford Loan eligibility for the year has been exhausted.  Students can borrow up to the cost of attendance minus other financial aid received. Repayment begins six months following graduation (or the last date of half-time enrollment) and repayment period is ten years. The interest rate on a federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan is fixed at 7.9%.  The Direct Graduate PLUS Loan origination fee is 4.288%.  Four percent of the total loan amount is deducted by the Federal government before loan proceeds are disbursed.

To apply for a Federal Direct GradPLUS Loan:

1. Complete a Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Pre-Approval Form.  (This enables the University to perform a credit-check on borrower's behalf.)

2. Complete a Federal Direct PLUS MPN* (Master Promissory Note) online at  Federal PIN required. 

Those approved on a Direct Graduate PLUS Loan will receive a revised award letter reflecting the PLUS Loan.  Those denied on the basis of credit will receive an email notification from the University.

*Only required for first-time Federal Direct PLUS borrowers.  MPN is good for up to ten years.

Alternative Student Loans

Alternative, private educational student loans, based on variable interest rates (Prime and/or LIBOR rates) are available for matriculating students enrolled at least half-time if they qualify on the basis of credit. Credit-worthy cosigners may be required depending upon borrower's credit history. Visit to see a comparison of products offered by five particular lenders.  Students can borrow through any lender, not just those listed.  (Note: It is recommended that students borrow a Federal Direct Stafford Loan before borrowing an alternative student loan).  See Arcadia's Lender Partnership Code of Conduct for more information.

Graduate Assistantships

Graduate Assistantships are available on the Arcadia University campus to full-time (9 credits per semester) graduate students.  Through an assistantship, a student can work a set amount of hours per week and earn a set amount of funding.  Students are paid monthly for hours worked. To find out more, or to obtain an application for an assistantship, please contact the College of Graduate Studies at 215-572-2512.

The Yellow Ribbon Program

Arcadia is a participating Yellow Ribbon institution.  The Yellow Ribbon GI Education Enhancement Program is a provision of the Post-9/11 Veterans Educational Assistance Act of 2008.  This program allows post-secondary institutions in the United States to voluntarily enter into an agreement with the V.A. (Veteran's Administration) to fund tuition expenses that exceed the highest public in-state undergraduate tuition rate. More about the Yellow Ribbon Program.

Financial Aid Sources is a very informative web site that provides links to sources for information about obtaining financial aid.  You can visit the site at 

Need More Information? 

Our Enrollment Management Office has only one purpose-to make it possible for students to obtain a Arcadia University education. We're here to help. We'll answer your questions by phone or E-mail or meet with you personally.

Students enrolled in M.B.A., Ed.D. in Special Ed, Ed.D. in Leadership, or all other part-time graduate program students whose last name begins A-J should contact Wendy McLaughlin (267-620-4829);

Students not enrolled in M.B.A., Ed.D. in Leadership or Special Ed, but enrolled in any other part-time graduate program students whose last name begins with K-Z should contact Wendy McLaughlin (267-620-4829);

Call toll-free: 1-877-ARCADIA (1-887-272-2342)
215-572-4049 Fax
Arcadia University
Office of Enrollment Management
450 S. Easton Road
Glenside, PA 19038

Financial Aid TV
Have questions about
financial aid?

Yellow Ribbon Veterans Program
Priority Filing Deadline
Education Tax Credits
Common Cent$
Arcadia University Financial Aid - Follow Us on Facebook