Scholarship, Grants and Loans
Frequently Asked Questions

Q:  If I plan to enter Fall 2014 as an Undergraduate Student, what should I do to apply for aid?

A:  Do the following by March 1, 2014:

  • Click to complete the 2014-2015 FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) beginning Jan. 1, 2014.  Be sure to list Arcadia, school code #003235, on your form.  We recommend you file the 2014-2015 FAFSA using estimated 2013 federal tax information.  Once federal taxes have been filed with the IRS, return to and select the IRS Data Retrieval option to automatically update your FAFSA with final IRS tax figures. 
  • Click to complete the 2014-2015 Arcadia University Financial Aid Application for Undergraduates (available online beginning December 2013; also mailed to all who have applied for fall 2014 beginning in mid-November).

Students entering Spring 2014 should complete the 2013-2014 FAFSA and 2013-2014 Arcadia University Financial Aid Application for Undergraduates. Priority deadline is November 1, 2013 but applications are processed on a rolling basis after that, as received.

(Note:  Students randomly selected for the federal verification process by Federal Student Aid Programs when they file their FAFSA will be receive separate notification of additional documentation requirements.  The financial aid package for those selected for federal verification will remain an estimate until federal verification is completed.)

Q:  If I plan to enter Summer 2014 or Fall 2014 as an Graduate Student, what should I do to apply for aid?

A:  Do the following by April 1, 2014:

*Only required for first-time Federal Direct loan borrowers at Arcadia University.

Q: If I already filed the FAFSA but did not list Arcadia on the form, do I need to re-file a new form? 

A: No. You should go to and, using your federal PIN, retrieve your FAFSA and add Arcadia to your form.

Q: Does Arcadia University require the CSS Profile Form?

A: No, we do not require the Profile Form because of the associated fee.

Q: I am filing the 2014-2015 FAFSA but my 2013 federal tax return will not accurately reflect what my family income will be for 2014 because I have experienced a reduction in income. What should I do?

A: If you know that your income during 2014 (the period 1/1/2014-12/31/2014) will be less than the adjusted gross income listed on your 2013 federal tax returns, once filed, do the following: File the FAFSA using the figures on your 2013 tax returns, as requested. Then, complete a Reduced Income Form on-line at This will allow us to evaluate your financial aid on the basis of your projected 2014 income.

Q: Is there a set income cut-off for receiving financial aid?

A: it is impossible to give an income cut-off for need-based aid since there are many factors that go into determining it, such as:

  • parent and student income
  • number in family
  • number in family in college at least half-time (student's siblings enrolled half-time for at least one semester during the 2014-2015 academic year (for Fall 2014/Spring 2015 students) would be counted in this number. Parents do not count.
  • student assets and parent assets (primary home not counted) 

Q: What financial aid is available to International Students?

A: If student is not a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident and is only on a student visa, he/she is ineligible to receive Federal, State and University need-based aid. Full-time undergraduates will be considered for merit aid:  Distinguished Scholarship ranging from $15,000-$23,000*/year or Achievement Awards ranging from $1,000-$15,000 annually.  They are reviewed automatically when they apply for admission. All international students can apply for the International Student Loan and a few other alternative private loans, provided they have a U.S. cosigner.

Q: When is payment due each semester?

A: The University bills July 1 for the fall semester, with payment typically due August 1st. Bills for the spring semester go out November 15th with payment due December 15th.  Initial bills for new, incoming fall-entry undergraduate students are mailed.  All subsequent bills are eBills, accessed through the student Self-Service system (MyArcadia).

Q:  What important dates should I be aware of when it comes to applying for financial aid?

A:  To apply for financial aid as an undergraduate or graduate student, you must complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) as soon as possible after January 1 of the year in which you are seeking admission. You must also submit the Arcadia University Financial Aid Application.  March 1 is the priority deadline for incoming undergraduate students.  Incoming and returning graduate students and returning undergraduate students have a priority deadline of April 1.  Applications received after this will still be processed, on a rolling basis.

Pennsylvania undergraduate students must file the FAFSA by May 1 each year to be considered for PHEAA State Grant aid.

If you are applying for the University's payment plan, for PLUS Loans or private alternative student loans, it is recommended that you submit these applications by June 15th prior to the fall you are applying for.

Q:  Can you describe what steps a financial aid application goes through before an applicant receives a financial aid package?

A:  For undergraduate students, once we receive your FAFSA and other required financial aid information, provided you have been accepted for admission, we'll determine your eligibility for federal, state and University need-based aid (note that review/notification for merit scholarships occurs at the time the admissions acceptance is made). We'll prepare a financial aid package for you and email you the link to view and accept your financial aid package online via our Student Financial Aid Portal at  We will also mail your aid offer to your home address.

For graduate students, those in full-time graduate programs are also reviewed for merit scholarships and graduate assistantships at the time of acceptance.  After we receive your FAFSA and other required financial aid information, we will process any loans you have applied for and email you an award letter which lists any scholarships, loans or assistantships you will be receiving.

Q:  What types of grants, scholarships, or loans, etc. are offered by your institution?

A:  Full-time undergraduate students are considered for four main types of financial aid: merit-based scholarships, need-based loans, need-based grants and work study.

Part-time undergraduate students are considered for need-based federal and state grants and for need-based loans, provided they are matriculating in a degree program and taking at least six credits a semester.

Full-time graduate students are considered for loans and for graduate assistantships and/or scholarships depending on their program of study.

Part-time graduate students are considered for need-based loans, provided they are matriculating in a degree program and taking at least six credits a semester.

For more undergraduate financial aid information, visit our undergraduate financial aid page

For more graduate financial aid information visit, visit our graduate financial aid page.

Q:  How much on average will a student spend on books each year?

A: While it is strictly an estimate and can vary based on the number of credits a student is enrolled for, the average amount that a full-time undergraduate student spends on books each year is $1,500 ($750 per semester).

For part-time undergraduates and graduate students, it depends on the number of credits/courses one is enrolled for.  Estimating $150-$200 for each course can typically provide you with a ballpark figure.

Q:  What is Arcadia University's Federal School Code?

A:  The University's Federal School Code is 003235.

Q:  What are Arcadia University's Tuition, Fees and Room and Board costs?

A:  To view costs for the upcoming and current academic year, click here.  

* Transfer student Distinguished Scholarships range from $6,500-$17,500 annually for Fall 2014/Spring 2015.

Financial Aid TV
Have questions about
financial aid?

Yellow Ribbon Veterans Program
Priority Filing Deadline
Education Tax Credits
Common Cent$
Arcadia University Financial Aid - Follow Us on Facebook