Undergraduate Part-Time Student Admission

Arcadia students in Library

A student who wants to enroll in part-time study for day or evening programs can do so either as a degree-seeking matriculated student or as a special status non-matriculated student. Students who begin study at Arcadia University as non-matriculated students can apply for matriculation at a later time. Students who want to pursue Post-Baccalaureate Certification or audit courses also can enroll on a part-time basis. Academically talented high school students and visiting students from other colleges and universities also can enroll as part-time students.

As a part-time student, you must be accepted into a degree program as a matriculated student to receive financial aid for which you may be eligible. Students accepted under non-matriculated status are not eligible to receive financial aid.

Degree Status (Matriculated status) is appropriate for those students who have an academic record that indicates a high likelihood of success and who meet the appropriate admissions criteria for matriculated students.

Special Status (Non-matriculated status) is appropriate for students who want to take courses for personal advancement or satisfaction, who are presently seeking degree status, or who are not qualified for immediate acceptance for degree status on the basis of their prior academic record. Special-status students are limited to two courses during a given semester, 6 to 8 credits in one semester, and are subject to departmental approval and availability of space. A maximum of the equivalent of one-half year of credits (15 to 16) may be taken as a special status student unless permission is granted for additional credit. After completion of 15 to 16 credits, students will be considered degree candidates provided a 2.0 grade point average or better is achieved and all official transcripts from prior institutions have been received. Non-matriculated students are not eligible to receive financial aid.

Post-Baccalaureate Certificate programs are appropriate for individuals who already hold a bachelor's degree and are seeking to update prior knowledge, to prepare for a career change, or to meet prerequisites for entry into an advanced degree program.

Audit/Non-Credit Courses can be taken on a non-participatory basis for individuals not seeking credit for courses.

High School Students who are academically talented may take one college-level course per semester while they are in high school.

Visiting Student Status is appropriate for individuals from other colleges and universities who want to enroll in courses at Arcadia University and have these credits transferred back to their institutions.

Required Credentials

Application Forms

Application forms can be obtained from the Arcadia University Office of Enrollment Management. Applications also can be downloaded from the Arcadia University Web site at www.arcadia.edu/ugapplication where students have the option of applying electronically. Candidates should follow the instructions provided and submit the application with a non-refundable fee of $30 (the application fee is waived for applications submitted online or at an on campus event). Checks are to be made payable to Arcadia University.

While there is no deadline, applications should be submitted as early as possible. Applicants who want to be considered for financial aid (provided matriculated status is granted) are advised to submit their applications by March 1 for fall admission.


Freshman candidates must submit an official high school transcript from the latest school attended or General Education Diploma (GED) Test results.  To locate a GED testing center near you, please visit http://gedtestingservice.com/testers/locate-a-testing-center.  The transcript must be sent directly to the Office of Enrollment Management by the high school attended and should bear the appropriate signatures and seals to be considered official.

Transfer students who have successfully completed the equivalent of 30 or more credits of college-level work are not required to submit secondary school transcripts. Secondary school transcripts may be requested by the Office of Enrollment Management if such records would lead to a more accurate assessment of a candidate's academic abilities.

Transfer applicants must have official transcripts sent to the Office of Enrollment Management from each post-secondary school attended (regardless of whether they want to receive transfer credit from each institution). Transcripts must bear the appropriate seals and signatures to be considered official. Copies of catalogs from previous institutions with appropriate course descriptions may be required for accurate evaluation of transfer credit.

High School Students who want to take college courses while still in high school must submit a copy of the high school transcript showing courses in progress and a letter from the high school counselor, vice principal or principal giving permission to take the course.

Post-Baccalaureate candidates must submit an official transcript from their degree-granting institution showing proof of completion of a bachelor's degree. Transcripts must bear the appropriate seals and signatures to be considered official.

Auditors and Visiting Students enrolled at other institutions do not need to submit transcripts unless they are enrolling in courses that require proof of satisfactory completion of prerequisite coursework.
Generally, official transcripts should be received prior to the beginning of the student's first semester. However, if transcripts have not been received by that time, the student may still enroll as a special status student.

Test Scores

Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) or American College Testing (ACT) Assessment Program scores are not required. However, these scores may be requested if it is felt that they would be useful for advising purposes.


All students applying to Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) degree programs at Arcadia or Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) programs in Scientific Illustration, Studio Art or Art Therapy must submit a portfolio of work before acceptance into the program is granted. The portfolio review deadline for freshmen seeking fall admission is June. The portfolio review deadline is August for fall semester transfer students and December for spring semester transfer students.

Portfolio guidelines will be sent to appropriate candidates when their applications are received. These guidelines also may be requested from the Office of Enrollment Management.


All students applying for the Bachelor of Fine Arts (B.F.A.) in Acting are required to audition for the program. Specific information will be sent to the appropriate candidates when their applications are received or may be requested from the Office of Enrollment Management.

Personal Meetings

A personal one-on-one meeting with an Enrollment Management Counselor is recommended in order to simplify the admissions process, ensure that a suitable program of study can be arranged, evaluate the transfer of any previous college credits and provide advisory consultation. This consultation can assist students in identifying goals and selecting appropriate courses. One-on-one meetings can be arranged by contacting the Office of Enrollment Management toll-free at 1-877-ARCADIA (877-272-2342) or by e-mail at admiss@arcadia.edu.

Credit Assessment

Credits can be granted for college coursework completed at other accredited institutions. Credits also can be earned through the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), the Excelsior College Examinations (formerly known as ACT PEP and Regents Examinations), the Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC), the American Council of Education (ACE), the Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI), the Life Office Management Association (LOMA), Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) examinations, American Institute of Banking (AIB), and the American Institute for CPCU and Insurance Institute of America (AICPCU/IIA). The total number of credits earned by examination may not exceed 64 credits for a daytime program, or 60 credits for an evening program.

Ordinarily, students are required to complete at least half the credits for their major and concentration at Arcadia University, although more may be required for certain majors or concentrations. Transfer students presenting more than half the credits for a major or concentration should see the appropriate department chairp to identify appropriate courses.

The Office of Enrollment Management provides credit assessments for students with prior college-level credits to help facilitate their transition to Arcadia University. For further information regarding credit assessment, contact the Office of Enrollment Management toll-free at 1-877-ARCADIA (1-877-272-2342) or e-mail admiss@arcadia.edu.

Transfer Credit

Transfer credit is granted for work completed at another accredited institution if the course content is comparable to that offered at Arcadia University or appropriate for the degree program. Credit will not be granted for courses in which grades below "C-" are earned. A maximum of 90 credits may be transferred from a four-year institution, or 75 credits from a two-year institution.

Assignment or exemption for English composition and mathematics is based upon placement examinations administered by the University or by transfer credit evaluation. Assignment or exemption for foreign languages also is based upon a placement examination administered by the University or by transfer credit evaluation.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Arcadia University participates in the College Level Examination Program (CLEP) of the College Entrance Examination Board. This program includes two types of tests: (1) General Examinations (English composition, mathematics, natural sciences, humanities and social science-history) and (2) Subject Examinations in specific undergraduate subjects.

Students who pass one or more of the General Examinations at or above the ACE-recommended score will be exempt from the appropriate general education requirements. Course credit may be earned through the Subject Examinations in those areas appropriate to the Arcadia University curricula. The passing mark in each of these examinations is the ACE-recommended score.

CLEP information and registration forms can be obtained by calling the local College Board Office at 215-387-7600 or 609-771-7865. Requests for scores for completed tests should be made to the Educational Testing Service at 609-921-7000. For more information about CLEP, visit The College Board Web site at www.collegeboard.org.

ACT Proficiency Examination Program

The University also accepts credits for successful completion of the American College Testing/Proficiency Examination Program (ACT/PEP) examinations.

As of September 1, 1998, the ACT/PEP: Regents College Examinations (ACT/PEP:RCE) are administered directly by Regents College (now Excelsior College) and not by the ACT/PEP program. For more information, visit their Web site at www.excelsiorcollege.com.


Students may be granted credit for previous military training or coursework in accordance with the recommendations of the American Council on Education (ACE) as described in the Guide to the Evaluation of Educational Experience in the Armed Forces. Arcadia University also grants credits based on the content of educational programs offered through Servicemembers Opportunity Colleges (SOC).

Other Organizations

The University recognizes ACE credit recommendations for courses offered by industries, corporations, labor unions, professional societies and federal agencies as identified through the ACE National Guide. Credit also is accepted for elective courses taken through the Program on Noncollegiate Sponsored Instruction (PONSI) and accredited chapters of the American Institute of Banking (AIB), the Life Office Management Association (LOMA) and the Certified Financial Analyst (CFA) examinations in business administration and accounting.


Request More InformationQuestionsApply Now

Tour Arcadia
Prospective Student Events
Meet Arcadia Students through blogs and profiles
Yellow Ribbon Veterans Program
Follow us on Facebook

Contact Us

Office of Enrollment Management
450 S. Easton Road
Glenside, PA 19038

Monday through Friday,
8:30 a.m. – 5 p.m.

(1-877-272-2342) or