- Director: Kira Baker-Doyle, Ph.D., Director of Literacies, Technologies, and Citizenship Studies
- Master of Education with a Concentration in Language Arts
- Master of Education with a Concentration in Children’s Literature
Master of Education Degree Requirements (M.Ed.)
(a minimum of 30 credits)
This program offers two concentrations: Language Arts and Children’s Literature. It is an individualized course of study designed to meet students’ interests and goals. The degree program must be planned with an adviser to ensure that degree requirements are satisfied.
Language Arts Concentration
1. Foundation Courses (6 credits) chosen in consultation with the adviser from the following: ED 501–510, 676, 677
2. Concentration Courses (15–18 credits) chosen with the adviser.
- ED 601 Developmental Literacy
- ED 606 Strategic Instruction for Emergent and Content Literacy K-6
- ED 607 Strategic Instruction for Adolescent Readers and Writers 7-12
- ED 605 Writing to Improve Literacy
- ED 622 ESL: Multilingual/Multicultural Literacy
- ED 624 ESL: Language, Diversity, and Schooling
3. Electives (6–9 credits) Chosen with adviser from the following areas: Literacy, Technology, English, Children’s Literature, or Creative Expression course
- EN 542 Teaching the Writing of Fiction
- EN 543 The History and Teaching of Rhetoric
EN 546 Teaching Writing
- ED 566 Web Based Information Literacy
- ED 565 Introduction to Instructional Technology
- ED 608 Literature for Children
- ED 616 K-12 Literature & Multi-modal Texts
- ED 564 Creative Expressions
4. Culminating Activity:
- ED 596: Curriculum Development Project. Designed in consultation with the academic adviser at the time of completing the Degree Candidacy Application
Please Note: All students completing a graduate Education degree are required to complete a Degree Candidacy Form with their academic adviser after completing 15 Arcadia graduate credits. Degree Candidacy is the academic program plan required for the degree and must be submitted to the Office of Graduate Studies.
All graduate forms can be found on the graduate forms page at www.arcadia.edu/gsforms.
School of Education
Taylor Hall, Rm. 200