Dr. Norman Johnston
Professor Emeritus of Sociology
Dr. Johnston's research interests in recent years have been centered on the history of punishment, imprisonment, and the evolution of prison architecture worldwide. These interests are related to his long time association as a member of the board of directors of the Pennsylvania Prison Society and the Eastern State Penitentiary Historic site, the latter which he was instrumental in developing. His publications include articles in Federal Probation Quarterly, Revista de la Escuela de Estudios Penitentiarios (Madrid), American Journal of Correction, British Journal of Criminology, The Prison Journal, Criminal Justice Matters (London), American Institute of Architects Journal, Anuario del Instituto de Ciencias Penale y Criminalogicas (Venezuela), Journal of Architectural Historians, Correctional Forum, and The Vacuum (Belfast). He has also co-edited eight criminal justice anthologies, one translated into Russian, and appeared in interviews in television documentaries for the BBC, Korean television, the Discovery, History, and MTV channels.
Recent Publications and Presentations
- Johnston, N. (2011) Stoning to Super Prisons: Punishment Through History. Philadelphia, PA: ESP Historic Site, Inc.
- Johnston, N. (2010) "Early Philadelphia Prisons: Amour, Alcohol, and Other Forbidden Pleasures," The Prison Journal, Mar., 2010, 12-13.
- Johnston, N. (2010) Inside: Prison and Prison Life. Philadelphia: ESP Historic Site, Inc.
- Johnston, N. (2010) "Victorian-Era Philadelphia's Most Influential Building: Eastern State Penitentiary," The Victorian Society, Philadelphia.
- Johnston, N. (2009) "Evolving Function: Early Use of Imprisonment," The Prison Journal, Mar., 2009, 10s-34s.
- Johnston, N. (2006). Forms of Constraint: A History of Prison Architecture. (paper). Champaign, IL: University of Illinois Press.
- Johnston, N. (2006). Chow: Food and Drink at Eastern State Penitentiary. Philadelphia, PA: ESP Historic Site, Inc.
- Johnston, N. (2005). "Prison Architecture: Solid Accomplishments?" The Vacuum (Belfast), 24 Spring, 3 – 5.
- Johnston, N. (2004). Escapes from Eastern State Penitentiary. Philadelphia, PA: ESP Historic Site, Inc.
- Johnston, N. (2004). "The World’s Most Influential Prison: Success or Failure?" The Prison Journal 84(4): 20S – 40S.
- Johnston, N. (2004). "Abu Ghraib Redux: It’s not about the prison but those who ran it." Correctional Forum, Dec. 6.
- Johnston, N. (2004). "A History of Pennsylvania Criminal Justice & Corrections." Presented at the Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences annual meeting, Las Vegas, NV.
- Johnston, N. (2002). "America’s Second Cultural Export," Presentation for the Court of Common Pleas Judges.
- Johnston, N. (2002). Kangoku No Rekishi, (Japanese translation of Forms of Constraint.) Tokyo, Japan: Hara Shobo.
- Johnston, N. (2000). Forms of Constraint: A History of Prison Architecture. (cloth). Champaign, IL: University of Illinois Press.