Housing and Residence Life FAQs

Rooms and Furnishings

What size are the traditional residence hall and Castle rooms?
Dilworth, Heinz, and Kistler rooms are approximately 11’x14’. Thomas rooms are approximately 11’x13’. Grey Towers Castle rooms vary in size and are assigned accordingly. The measurements of windows, closets, and space under the beds vary by room.   

What size are the beds in the residence halls?
Mattresses in our residence halls are extra-long (36" x 80") and require twin, extra-long sheets.  Residence and Commuter Life has partnered with Residence Hall Linens to provide students with a convenient, affordable way to purchase bedding items, as well as other campus-living necessities. 

What types of furnishings are provided in each residence hall room?
Click here for room furnishings information.

What should I bring/leave at home?
Click here for a list of items.

Are my personal belongings insured?
Arcadia University is not responsible for damage to personal belongings in your residence hall room or apartment. You should make sure that your belongings are covered under a homeowner’s insurance policy or make arrangements for renter’s insurance coverage if necessary.

Will I have an Internet/phone/cable connection in my room?
Arcadia provides an Internet connection in each room and apartment. Additionally, the entire campus is covered by wireless access. There is also one cable connection and one phone line in each room (in the apartments, there is one cable connection in the living room). If you bring a phone, we recommend that you bring an answering machine. In order to make calls off-campus, you will need a magicJack, or a calling card.

What if I don’t get along with my roommate(s)? Can I change rooms?
The first step is to discuss the situation with your Resident Assistant. Your Resident Assistant may be able to help you and your roommate resolve your differences. If, after discussion, a room change is appropriate, you must speak to your Area Coordinator. Room changes are not possible until after the third week of the semester, and then only as space permits.

Residence Hall Facilities and Policies

Is Housing Guaranteed?
Arcadia guarantees housing for all full-time undergraduate students who make a housing deposit by the posted deadline. Living on campus is not required for any student. However, we recommend on-campus living to enhance your Arcadia experience.

What types of facilities are available in the residence halls?
Each traditional hall has laundry facilities, furnished main lounges with vending machines and flat screen TVs. Heinz and Kistler also have pool tables, and the Dilworth/Thomas lounge has a foozball table. Kistler, Dilworth, and Heinz Halls also have guest rooms. All residence halls, including the apartments, have common study areas.

Do the residence halls close during vacations?
During Thanksgiving and Winter break, the residence halls are closed. For dates of Thanksgiving, Winter and Spring breaks, click here. Break exceptions are available on a case by case basis for Thanksgiving Break and Winter break, and charges are associated with these exceptions. Students that travel from a distance are welcome to speak with their Area Coordinator at any time for assistance in planning for these break periods.

Are the residence halls at the University coed?
All University housing is co-ed, in that all residence halls house both genders. Most halls are co-ed by floor or wing. Residence and Commuter Life will only house students on co-ed by room floors or in co-ed by bed suites and apartments by request.

Do you provide any housing on smoke-free floors?
All University housing is smoke-free. Residents of the Oak Summit Apartments are permitted to smoke on balconies or patios.

What are the rules and regulations associated with living in the residence halls?
As you complete your Housing Reservation via the Arcadia University Housing Portal, you will have the opportunity to review the University Housing Agreement that provides detailed information about University policy and residence hall living. Each resident is required to agree to and abide by this agreement. 

What is my mailing address at Arcadia University?
Your address will be:
[Student's Name]
Arcadia University
450 South Easton Rd
Glenside, PA 19038

Who do I contact with questions regarding Residence Life and Housing on campus?
All questions regarding Residence Life and Housing should be directed to the Housing Coordinator at 215-572-4026.

Housing Application and Assignment

When can I complete a Housing Application?
Applications may be completed after March 3, 2013; however deposited students may sign on at any time to confirm their demographic info.

How do I complete a Housing Application?
1) Sign into MyArcadia using your MyArcadia login and password.
2) Click on the “New Student Tab.”
3) Click on “Housing Preferences” to access the Arcadia University Online Housing Portal.
4) Follow the steps to complete your Housing Application.
5) Check your Arcadia email for a confirmation message.

When can I expect my Housing Assignment?
Housing assignments will be mailed via Arcadia email and USPS throughout the summer.
Applications received by 11:59 p.m. on June 23 will receive a housing assignment in the first week of July. Applications received by 11:59 p.m. on July 21 will receive a housing assignment in the first week of August. Completed applications received after Aug. 1 will be assigned on an individual basis as space allows.

How does Arcadia house students?
1) Any student with a medical accommodation will be given priority. Incoming first-year students and transfers are encouraged to submit important paperwork by May 1. More information.
2) Roommate preference is priority.  If you indicate that you want to live with a particular person, and that person agrees, you will be housed with that person.  Even if a student has a deposit date that makes them eligible for the Castle, if a roommate they select does not have a deposit date that makes them eligible for the Castle, the student will be placed with the roommate in another building. 
3) Students who indicate the Castle as a housing preference will be placed based on deposit date, as space permits.
4) Housing assignments for Dilworth, Heinz, Kistler and Thomas Halls are not based upon preference for a building. Instead, housing placements are made based on experiential preferences:  Do you want to live on a theme floor?  Do you want to live with a particular person?  Do you want to live in on a co-ed floor? These are some questions that a student will answer as they move through the portal.


See Amenities for more information.


Contact Residence
& Commuter Life

Knight Hall
Student Affairs Suite

Monday - Friday,
9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Phone: 215-572-4026
Fax: 215-881-8755

Mailing Address:
Arcadia University
Residence & Commuter
Life Office
450 S. Easton Road
Glenside, PA 19038

Staff Directory