Newspapers Making a Difference for Students on Campus

By Purnell T. Cropper | March 2, 2010

Arcadia students are getting a head start on living and working in a global society, thanks to the Collegiate Readership Program, which brings USA Today, the Philadelphia Inquirer and the New York Times to campus each day. The program also provides online academic resources, including case studies and the Voices Web site at www.usatodaycollege.com.

“It has been helpful especially as a point of reference for research work and writing research papers,” one Arcadia student noted in a survey.

“I really love it. I wanted a subscription to the newspaper but was unable to afford it. I love that Arcadia is willing to provide them for students. It’s so much easier to keep up with current events,” wrote another student.

A student observed, “I have read the newspaper more with this program and it is helpful when discussing current events in class. It is very convenient to have access to the paper for free on campus.”

“The readership program has been very valuable. I love grabbing the Times on my way to class or the café and spending my spare moments reading it through the day,” commented a student.

Why is newspaper readership important? It does the following:

• Promotes a sharing of ideas related to responsible citizenship.
  • Encourages students to examine multiple opinions and perspectives.
  • Enables students to relate personal experiences and classroom knowledge to real-world situations.
  • Empowers students to seek knowledge outside of the classroom.

Students can find newspapers in six convenient locations, including the Dining Complex, Landman Library and the Easton Cafe.

The readership program is jointly sponsored and supported financially by the Student Government Organization, Undergraduate Studies, Student Affairs, and Parkhurst Dining.

“We are charged for only those newspapers that are taken, so those left are credited to our account and recycled. So far we have been very successful with our utilization rates, which are above the average for campuses of our size and type in this region,” reports Dr. Jan Walbert, Vice President for Student Affairs. View poster.