Health Administration Major Turns Internship into Career

By Purnell T. Cropper | April 23, 2010

“Arcadia gave me the opportunity to practice essential skills, developing the confidence to succeed in my position,” says Health Administration major Romesha Robinson ’09. Today, she is enjoying her position as a Human Resource Information System (H.R.I.S) Assistant at the Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia.

Arcadia’s Health Administration curriculum provides an integrative and personal learning experience that prepares students for the challenges ahead, including extensive group work, research projects and presentations as well as an internship in the field.

The passion Robinson experienced in the classroom was infectious. Through one-on-one advising, Robert Kieserman, Adjunct Professor of Health Administration, provided the insight Robinson needed to realize her dream of working in human resources within the health-care field. “Personally, I was determined to succeed,” she says.

Hungry for field experience but well aware of the limited internship opportunities in her specific area of interest, Robinson found an open position as a Compensation Analyst at Thomas Jefferson University Hospital. “I called the department directly and informed them that I was willing to take the job as an unpaid internship,” she says. They happily offered Robinson the internship.

Each experience, big or small, helped Robinson to prepare for the next challenge. “Begin early, don’t limit yourself and be adventurous,” she says. Robinson has gained the confidence to initiate her goals for the future.