Class of 2010 Plants 60 Trees at Whitemarsh Parks

By Purnell T. Cropper | July 13, 2010

On May 17, 2010, more than 60 of Arcadia’s graduating seniors planted trees at Miles Park and Cedar Grove Park in Whitemarsh Township. The day of community service was part of the Class of 2010 Senior Week activities.

Sixty in all, each tree was 10-12 feet tall, indigenous to the region and valued at $150, according to the Whitemarsh Township Enterprise’s June 1 edition. The trees were paid for by a grant through the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society.

“Planting trees during Senior Week was one of my favorite activities because I got to give back to the community that was home to my college career and do something I’ve never done before,” says participant Amanda Hartman ’10.  “Honestly, what’s better than enjoying friends, volunteering, and sunshine?”

Arcadia University encourages community service enriches the partnership with the community, Arcadia’s faculty, staff and student body. Community involvement allows students the opportunity to observe potential career fields, enhance their professional skills, help those in need, and meet others with similar interests.