Tressider Reflects on Giving

By Purnell T. Cropper | July 20, 2010

By Sarah R. Schwartz ’10

“I’m impressed by the growth that has occurred at Arcadia,” says Susan Jackson Tressider ’84, ’90M. “I’m even more impressed by the passion of the people supporting the college.”

Tressider is part of a legacy committed to education, excellence and generosity. She is an extraordinary philanthropist, dedicating her time and efforts to many local communities. She currently is acting as Executive and Managing Director of the Fourjay Foundation, an organization her family founded that has given funds to more than 400 different charities, including educational, health-care and human-service organizations throughout the Philadelphia area.

Giving back to Arcadia also has become a family tradition. Tressider’s mother, former Arcadia French teacher Marie-Louise Vermeiren Jackson ’09H, currently serves on the Board of Trustees. Following in her footsteps, Tressider has been on Arcadia University’s Campaign Steering Committee for three years. “I’m in a place in my life where I’ve grown, and I have more of an ability to give back now,” she says.

At Home & In the World—The Campaign For Arcadia University is designed to provide the financial resources required to off er Arcadia’s most promising students the scholarship support they need. Tressider notes that she feels it is more crucial now, during the economic downturn, to help students of this generation prepare for the future.

“We have a lot of donors who believe in our mission, and that’s the reason Arcadia prevails,” she says.

“I was initially attracted to the small, intimate nature of the school. I went to a large university my first semester and didn’t like being just a number,” she says. “I like feeling close to the campus.” Through her involvement, Tressider plans to continue ensuring that future generations receive the promise of personal attention that is the hallmark of an Arcadia education.