Good Evening, Singapore Alumni!

By Purnell T. Cropper | November 22, 2011

“Good evening, Singapore!” he boomed into the microphone. Arcadia University President Carl (Tobey) Oxholm III made his presence known to the cheering M.B.A. alumni in Singapore, sending his greetings from his office in Grey Towers Castle to a big screen at the restaurant where alumni and students were having a network event with Dr. Tony Muscia, Director of International Business Programs.

“It was such a pleasure for me to come out and visit you—not so long ago—in my first international tour. I went there before I even went to Connecticut or New York or Massachusetts or any of the places close to home. You guys are fantastic.”

President Oxholm challenged the Singapore alumni chapter to keep up their school spirit. “You’ll notice I’m wearing scarlet and grey,” he said, as he adjusted his scarlet tie. “How many of you around the room out there are wearing scarlet and grey? They’re our school colors, you know. So next time you get together at an alumni-student reception–scarlet and grey.

“I have now been in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, New Hampshire, Harrisburg, Washington, D.C., Houston, San Francisco, Denver, and LA—and Singapore. And I am proud to tell you that the Singapore alumni club is the best alumni club in the world. You rock!

“Here’s the problem,” he continued. “The rest of the country is after you. They think they’re better than you. So tonight as you celbrate your first networking event between alumni and students, whcih is the best thing that we can do anywhere in the world, remember, this is just a start, This is the first. There are going to be more. We’re going to have more and more students and alumni in Singapore. They’re going to be more active than anywhere else in teh world. And I’ll be back. I’ll be back to say hello. I’ll be back to thank you in person. And I’ll be back to celebrate.”

Members of the Alumni Association in Singapore include President Vincent Ho, Vice President Marda Saturno, Secretary Kris Kwek, Treasurer Sing Kok Ling, Kan Kiang Hong, Matthew Lim, Jason Lim, and Vignish Vijelal.