Student Speaker Sought for ‘Commons: Meeting Place of Peoples, Marketplace of Ideas’

By Purnell T. Cropper | November 11, 2011

On Monday, Jan. 23, Arcadia University will celebrate the opening of the Commons, and one student will be chosen by his or her peers to speak on their behalf at the dedication ceremony, which, as Ed Sullivan would have said, will be “a really big shew.”

“This is truly a historic event for Arcadia, and we would like to identify a student to give remarks on behalf of his or her peers during the ceremony,” says Josh Stern, Associate Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students. “I am therefore inviting you to craft an essay or speech of no more than five minutes in length with the following theme: ‘The Commons: Meeting Place of Peoples, Marketplace of Ideas.’

“Be creative! Send me your essay or speech in writing or on video by Friday, Dec. 2. Members of the Student Affairs staff and I will review each entry and determine three finalists,” adds Stern. “The finalists’ submissions will be posted for the student body to review and vote on. So even if you do not submit a speech, you will have a say in which speech is ultimately selected! I look forward to receiving your essays and having one of you proudly represent the Arcadia student body at the Commons Dedication.”