Blooming Daffodils, Planted Last Fall, Brighten Campus

By Christopher Sarachilli | April 1, 2016

L to R: Alison O’Neil ’16, Nicole Daly ’18, Kyle Kammerle ’18, President Nicolette DeVille Christensen, Jessica Braun ’16, Dean of Students Andrew Goretsky, Corrina Gonzales ’18, and Sarah Daley ’18

For Corrina Gonzales ’19, seeing daffodils bloom on Arcadia University’s campus has done more than add brightness to an already picturesque setting; They are a reminder of good friends an ocean away.

“My friends and I planted that little section,” she said, pointing to a patch of daffodils near Blankley Alumni House. “That was before they went on FYSAE (First-Year Study Abroad Experience), so every time I see them I think of those friends and all of the fun we had before they left. We didn’t know what an amazing impact it was going to make on the campus. It’s absolutely beautiful.”

Though the daffodils first grow in single stems, they multiply as they age. In a few years, each daffodil will become a cluster of bright, yellow flowers. Dean of Students Andrew Goretsky hopes that the daffodils remain something that students can look back on and remember as they walk by, a sentiment echoed by Jessica Braun ’16.

“I think it creates an appreciation, especially for the people that did it,” she said. “Every time they walk by, they know that they contributed to something that’s lasting on campus and that everybody can enjoy.”

Supported by the Office of the President, the daffodil bulb planting brought together nearly 100 student volunteers to dig into the soil and plant more than 2,600 bulbs last October.

“This event is for the students,” said President Nicolette DeVille Christensen, whose vision was realized in sponsoring the event and who also participated in the planting last fall. “I love hearing the excitement in their voices as they reflect on the planting day and now see these gorgeous daffodils bringing even more beauty and cheer to our campus. “

Sarah Daley ’18, who volunteered for the planting with the student organization Arcadia for a Better Community, has already begun appreciating the effects of a more floral campus.

“You see a pop of color when you walk on campus, and it makes me a lot happier seeing them,” she said.