Rebecca Smith ’16 on Ballot for Norristown Council Seat

By Caitlin Burns | June 1, 2017

Rebecca Smith ’16, who received a Bachelor of Arts in Political Science, has moved into the general election for a seat on Norristown’s Municipal Council. She received one of two Democratic spots on the ballot after the primaries.

Smith, who is a legislative and communications specialist for education policy at the Delaware County Intermediate Unit, hopes to bring the Council and community together to support economic growth and development, police officer training, and constituent services in Norristown.

“I never thought I wanted to run for an elected position,” said Smith. “However, with my educational background, I know I can do the job. I wouldn’t have even considered it if I couldn’t.”

As a student, Smith completed an internship at Congressman Brendan Boyle’s (D-13) office. She attributes her campaign to a former colleague from her internship, who persuaded her to make a difference in the community.

“Without Arcadia, I wouldn’t have met the person who convinced me to run,” said Smith. “Beyond that, Arcadia has provided me the confidence to know I can succeed in this position. And even though I’m not a student anymore, faculty in the Historical and Political Studies Department have been very supportive.”

Smith is likely to be voted into the position since the Democrats are running unopposed. Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 7.