Accessing Counseling and Student Health Services
As we respond to the COVID-19 virus, Counseling and Student Health Services has been diligently working to determine the best way to continue to offer you support and meet the needs of the reality of our current campus situation.
In accordance with Governor Tom Wolfe’s announcement to close all schools and minimize in-person meetings in Montgomery County, Counseling and Student Health Services are now available by phone and online for consultation purposes.
We encourage you to reach out as needed so we can continue to provide services that remain helpful while also staying within the scope of our practice and competencies. We will be following the process listed below:
- For students who have scheduled counseling appointments, a staff member will be reaching out to you via phone/email to check in about your current counseling needs and will provide you with resources to assist you during this time of transition.
- For students who have a scheduled medication management appointment with our psychiatric nurse practitioner, Dr. Joe Schatz, we will be honoring that appointment, beginning on March 25th by phone. You will be notified by phone/email when that appointment will take place and Dr. Schatz will call you at that designated appointment time.
- For students who have general questions about establishing off-campus treatment and treatment resources, please call the main number at 215 572-2967. We will return your call within one business day if possible.
For students who have purchased the student health insurance through United Healthcare, free teletherapy is available nationwide: click on this link for more information.
- Database of therapists to find one in your area
- You might also check your insurance company’s website to learn which therapists take your insurance and inquire about teletherapy.
- Arcadia Counseling Services Website – Includes a referral list and how to navigate your health insurance.
Emergency Resources and hotlines:
- Suicide Prevention Hotline – 1-800-273-TALK (1-800-273-8255)
- Crisis Text Line – has the capacity to serve anyone, in any type of crisis, providing access to free, 24/7 support and information. Text home to 741-741 from anywhere in the USA, anytime, about any type of crisis.
- Montgomery County Mobile Crisis Unit – (855) 643-4673
- The Trevor Project – Crisis Hotline for LGBTQ+ youth 866-488-7386
Helpful Links For Managing COVID-19:
- Emotional Support Help Line for COVID-19 – 1-866-342-6892 Free access to specially trained mental health specialists to support people experiencing anxiety or stress around COVID-19.
- Strategies and tips for managing depression and anxiety related to COVID-19
- CDC facts on mental health and COVID-19
Student Health Services (SHS)
SHS will be following the processes listed below and encourage you to reach out with questions or for guidance.
- For students with a current appointment, a SHS staff member will be contacting you via email or phone call to provide you with local resources for your needs.
- Our phone line is set up for triaging your calls. Please call 215-572-2966 and select an option that meets your needs. Option 1 is for immediate assistance and you will be connected to the Director of Student Health Services, Option 2 is for administrative purposes and questions that can be answered by the next business day. Option 3 is to be connected to Public Safety.
- All medication refills or immunization compliance questions can be directed to option 2 or an email can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We also have all of our resource information on our SHS website.
Lastly, because you are an Arcadia student, you also have the option of connecting with a physician via phone and/or video chat using new telehealth services. During a physician consult, you will be able to speak to a physician for the diagnosis and treatment of many different acute illnesses. Please check out the flyer for more information.
Amy Henning, M.Ed.
Director, Counseling services and AOD Program
Theresa Smith, MSN, CRNP, FNP-BC
Director, Student Health Services