Grey Towers Castle today.
View of Grey Towers Castle from driveway (now the Alumni Walk of Pride) circa 1923.
Portrait of William Welsh Harrison.
Alnwick Castle served as an inspiration for Grey Towers Castle.
Aerial view of Grey Towers Castle estate circa 1928.
There are over 50 gargoyles integrated into the facade of Grey Towers Castle.
One of the two Caen stone mantles in the Great Hall. The mantles mimic a huge Renaissance mantle in the royal Château de Blois.
The Dining Room circa 1900.
Today, the Dining Room is used for guest speakers, dinner, and special events.
The Mirror Room, the estate’s ballroom, was likely ordered as a package through a French firm. It was created in France and shipped to Glenside, accompanied by workers to install it. The ceiling depicts the four seasons as women, attended by cupids, floating against a sky cut by the path of the zodiac. Within the cove separating the walls from the ceiling runs a vine motif ornamented with cupids, long-necked birds, and female figures.
The Mirror and Rose Rooms are currently used for dinners, dances, lectures, and special presentations.
A pair of sliding doors opens from the Ballroom into the adjoining Rose Room. Here, the ornamentation is a composite of various details typical of the later years of Louis XV’s reign.
The grand stairway of the Great Hall rises to a landing where a large archway gives entrance to the Music Room.
Baumgarten tapestries decorate the walls above the wainscoting of the Music Room.
Balcony stairs feature carved mahogany panels.
View of the Grand Hall's coffered ceiling. Today, first-year students reside on the Castle's third floor.
Select freshmen get the opportunity to spend their first year in traditional and suite-style dorms on the third floor.
Students at the Castle's main entrance in 1961.
The main entrance features a Porte-Cochere, shown in 1963.
View of Castle turret and patio from 1970.
Snow-covered Grey Towers Castle.
Students enjoying the Castle lawn, 1972.
View of Grey Towers Castle, Haber Green walkway, and flags.
Grey Towers Castle at night. Photo by Dr. Joshua Blustein.
Grey Towers Castle, a National Historic Landmark, is often cited by alumni as one of the most vivid memories from their time at Arcadia.
The Castle houses the Office of the President; Provost's Office; Office of Enrollment Management (Admissions and Financial Aid); Rose and Mirror Rooms; Nostrand Conference Room; and the Castle Dining Room.
Completed in 1898, the building was the architectural centerpiece of an estate owned by William Welsh Harrison. In 1929, Arcadia University (then located in Jenkintown) purchased Grey Towers from Harrison's widow and son. Classes were held in Jenkintown and Glenside until 1962, when the University transferred completely to the Grey Towers property.