Student Handbook

Declaration of Major

Revised August 17, 2018

You are asked to make a formal declaration of your major field in the fall of your sophomore year. Forms for this purpose and for declaring a second major are provided by the Registrar’s Office.

If you wish to change your major, secure the appropriate form from the Registrar's Office. The change must be approved by the chairs of the departments concerned and by the Registrar. A change made later than the beginning of the junior year might mean that additional courses would be required.

Note that some programs, such as Education, Science Illustration and Fine Arts, have specific requirements that should be taken in the first year. Students interested in Pre-Health programs such as Physical Therapy, Genetic Counseling, and Physician Assistant, must also carefully plan their schedules. If you are considering these programs, you are urged to check for further information concerning requirements and to meet with your adviser as early as possible to plan your schedule.