Master's Degree in Forensic Science
About Arcadia's Forensic Science Degree
- Small class sizes
- One of only a select few master’s in forensic science programs accredited by the Forensic Science Education Programs Accreditation Commission (FEPAC)
- Top scorers in national Forensic Science Assessment Test
- Offered on-site at the Center for Forensic Science Research & Education and NMS Labs state-of-the-art facilities
- Renowned American Board of Criminalistics (ABC) and American Board of Forensic Toxicology (ABFT) certified faculty
- Guaranteed internship at the Center for Forensic Science Research & Education
- Preparation for careers in private, state and federal agencies as well as other associated scientific disciplines
- Provides a strong scientific foundation to pursue doctoral studies
- Arcadia University-sponsored student participation in professional meetings
- Active research programs in various forensic science disciplines
- Opportunity to attend autopsies and consult on cold case investigations
- Become recognized by the American Board of Criminalistics (ABC) by taking the Forensic Science Assessment Test (FSAT) prior to graduation
A Growing Profession: Forensic Science is broadly defined as the application of science to the purposes of law. It is highly interdisciplinary by nature and has become a vital part of the judicial and regulatory system worldwide. Professional forensic scientists, law enforcement personnel, and criminal justice employees all recognize the growing need for highly qualified specialists who can follow established protocols in the collection, preservation, analysis and presentation of forensic evidence.
National Recognition: The Arcadia University Master of Science in Forensic Science (M.S.F.S.) program is nationally accredited by the Forensic Science Education Programs Accreditation Commission (FEPAC) of the American Academy of Forensic Sciences (AAFS). Arcadia University is one of only a select few institutions in the country to hold this accreditation, which recognizes the high quality graduate forensic science curriculum offered through this program.
Affiliations: The Master of Science in Forensic Science degree is offered by Arcadia University in partnership with the Center for Forensic Science Research and Education and in collaboration with NMS Labs, one of the nation’s premier ASCLD-LAB and ISO 17025 accredited forensic science laboratories. Both facilities are located about 10 minutes from Arcadia University in Willow Grove, Pa. A significant portion of the coursework is conducted at the Center for Forensic Science Research and Education facilities, and forensic practitioners from NMS Labs provide an established and knowledgeable source of adjunct faculty.
Guaranteed Internship and Real-World Experience: Hands-on opportunities are an essential part of the educational experience in a Forensic Science program. Arcadia's guaranteed internship at the Center for Forensic Science Research and Education is a unique benefit of the Arcadia experience. This highly desirable, comprehensive, and intensive 15-week internal internship program gives every student valuable real-world experience and career preparation in the following areas: Forensic Biology, Forensic Toxicology, Forensic Chemistry and Trace Analysis.
The mission of the Forensic Science program at Arcadia University is to provide high quality, competent, and professional master’s level forensic science education and training. This mission is to be accomplished through contact with internal and external professional practitioners and academicians; through research, internships, and other forensic science activities intended to increase the students’ knowledge of forensic science; and through competent and ethical professional training. Believing that the program’s mission can be achieved through productive interactions among practitioners, academicians, and related forensic science activities, Arcadia University seeks
- To provide a comprehensive graduate program in the areas of forensic biology, chemistry, toxicology and trace evidence analysis and to serve as a model for forensic science education excellence.
- To promote scholarly inquiry into the knowledge and techniques fundamental to the practice of forensic science.
- To provide outstanding resources for students in their professional forensic science development.
- To produce competent and skilled forensic science professionals who can serve as outstanding practitioners and leaders in the forensic science field.