|Policy Title||Presidential Performance Evaluation Policy|
|Policy Category||Governance Policies|
|Original Policy Approval Date||October 26, 2022|
|Responsible Office||Arcadia University Board of Trustees/ Office of the University Secretary|
|Frequency of Review||3 Years|
|Date of Next Review||October 26, 2025|
|Dates of Revision|
The Board of Trustees (“Board”) of Arcadia University (“University”) is responsible for selecting, monitoring, assessing, and compensating the president of Arcadia University (“President”). The Board has delegated the authority to review the President’s performance and compensation, along with the responsibility for organizing and conducting the evaluation process, to the Executive Committee of the Board (“EC”) as set forth in that committee’s Charter.
II. Policy Statement
This Presidential Performance Evaluation Policy (“Policy”) requires evaluations of the President in accordance with best practices as recommended by the Association of Governing Boards of Universities and Colleges (AGB). This requires a review of the performance and compensation of the President annually. It also requires that a comprehensive evaluation of the President’s performance and compensation occur at three year intervals, beginning in January 2023, and formalizes the procedures by which the Board will fulfill this responsibility in each case. If necessary, the Board may modify the timing of an annual or comprehensive assessment as needed to meet the needs of the University, with notice to the President.
The EC is responsible for conducting periodic evaluations of the President’s performance based upon mutually agreed upon goals. The intent of the evaluations shall be to assess the President’s performance in leading the institution; enhance the president’s and institution’s effectiveness; encourage communication between the Board and President with regard to expectations, goals, and accomplishments; identify future challenges and opportunities for the President and Board to consider; and maintain accountability. The President will be evaluated based on mutually agreed-upon goals focused on areas such as leadership, student success, faculty and staff development, fiscal management, stakeholder relations, fundraising, and improvement of the University’s national standing and reputation. The Board will determine whether the President’s performance has exceeded expectations, met expectations, or fallen below expectations.
Upon completion of an evaluation and based on the extent to which performance goals are determined to have been satisfied, the EC may, in its discretion, approve the President’s incentive compensation (in conformance with the President’s contract terms) and shall inform the Board of its decision, or seek approval of recommendations, as appropriate, at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting.
A. Annual Evaluation
The purpose of the annual evaluation is to enable the President to strengthen his or her performance, enable the President and the Board to reset
mutually agreeable goals, and inform annual decisions on compensation adjustments and other terms of employment.
- The annual evaluation process will be facilitated by the Office of Human Resources, led by the EC, and be based on the President’s performance from June 1 through May 31 (end of fiscal year) of the prior year;
- The evaluation process should be completed within ninety (90) days from the end of the fiscal year;
- The evaluation will be conditioned on the achievement of specific goals to be considered and approved by the EC (after consultation with the President) prior to the beginning of each fiscal year;
- The evaluation may include such other information as the EC may determine based on current circumstances, including input from the President, the full Board, and/or the President’s direct reports;
- The Vice President of Human Resources (“VPHR”) shall be responsible for coordinating the evaluation criteria and template materials to be used in the process (the template materials are attached hereto as Exhibit A and may be subject to change) and for keeping within the established timelines;
- The EC will use the target dates set forth in the Annual Review Sequence Timeline below to conduct the annual performance evaluation; and
- After the process is complete, the EC shall inform the Board of the President’s performance at its next regularly scheduled meeting.
|ANNUAL REVIEW SEQUENCE TIMELINE|
|April||● VPHR reviews Presidential Performance Evaluation Policy and evaluation materials and distributes to involved parties (President; Cabinet; BOT)|
● President and EC develop mutually agreeable KPI’s
|May||● President completes Self Evaluation Form summarizing the past year’s activities in relation to the established goals from previous year|
● Cabinet completes Cabinet Evaluation of President Form
● BOT completes BOT Evaluation of President Form
● VPHR summarizes results and delivers to EC
● President submits goals for upcoming year to EC
|June||● The EC meets to discuss and review all of the evaluation results to determine compensation (in accordance with applicable terms in President’s contract) and completes the Performance Incentive Compensation Evaluation Form|
● Specific goals for upcoming year are considered and approved by the EC (after
consultation with the President)
|July||● EC chair advises President of results of evaluation|
● EC and President establish metrics for performance incentive compensation and finalize goals, objectives, and professional development plans for the upcoming year
|October||● EC informs Board (and any incentive compensation must be paid in January following end of fiscal year reviewed)|
B. Comprehensive Evaluation
Purpose: The purpose of the comprehensive review is to assess the President’s fulfillment of long-term objectives and responsibilities and build upon the foundation of annual evaluations. It strengthens the leadership of the President and Board by assessing the quality of their relationship and the President’s performance through an independently conducted process. The process seeks to gather, on a wide range of management and
governance matters, the informed perceptions of leaders of major stakeholder groups, as well as those of the President and members of the Board.
- The comprehensive evaluation process will be facilitated by the Office of Human Resources, led by the EC, and will be conducted every three (3) years beginning January 2023.
- The EC will confer with the President and establish a specific schedule and timeframe for the completion of the tasks necessary for the process.
- The EC will select an external reviewer (or internal if preferred) to conduct the comprehensive review.
- The external (or internal) reviewer will work collaboratively with the EC to establish the review methodology, develop criteria for assessing the President’s performance and leadership, develop assessment tools and evaluation materials, determine the parties to be consulted, set the timeline, and identify all issues and areas to be considered.
- The comprehensive evaluation will include:
- a. A self-evaluation statement prepared by the President addressing the areas and issues determined by the EC and external reviewer (including three years’ worth of information and forecast), and
- b. Confidential interviews with, or other means of obtaining feedback from, a cross section of the campus community and external stakeholders, including, all Board members, Cabinet, representatives of faculty, students, and staff, and any other parties selected by the external reviewer and the EC.
- The external (or internal) reviewer will oversee and guide the process and will meet with the EC to review the findings of the review process.
- The external (or internal) reviewer will prepare a comprehensive draft report detailing the universities progress and major achievements during
- the President’s tenure. The report shall include substantive recommendations for the President and the Board designed to strengthen the University’s management and governance. The external (or internal) reviewer and the EC will then meet with the President to discuss the draft report.
- The external (or internal) reviewer will finalize the report and forward it to the EC for review. Following any further revisions by the outside (or internal) reviewer which may be requested by the EC, the EC will approve the final report and will forward the final report to the Board and the EC chair will advise the Board on the outcome of the review, and will recommend for the Board’s approval, any post evaluation actions.
- The EC (or EC Chair) will consult with the President to review the report.
- The EC Chair will then provide recommendations to the Board for approval and advise the President of the outcome.
- The comprehensive evaluation process will conclude with a report to the University community and stakeholders summarizing the results of the evaluation and the process followed.
IV. Effective Date
This Policy is effective on the date that it is signed by the President.
V. Date of Approval
October 24, 2022