|Policy Title||Survey Policy|
|Policy Category||Academic/Research Policies|
|Original Policy Approval Date||October 21, 2021|
|Responsible Office||Office of the Provost|
|Frequency of Review||3 Years|
|Date of Next Review||October 21, 2024|
|Date of Revision|
The Survey Policy (“Policy”) applies to all faculty, staff, and students, independent contractors, and volunteers of Arcadia University (the “University”). See section IV for the definitions of capitalized terms contained in the Policy.
II. Policy Statement
The Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness serves as the University’s survey clearinghouse, conducting and/or centrally coordinating research and assessment efforts at the University. It also maintains the Arcadia University Assessment Calendar. This Policy affects survey activity including, but not limited to, quality assurance, marketing, service, and program evaluation.
The goals of this Policy are to:
- Reduce collection and reporting of duplicate information
- Minimize over-surveying of groups
- Promote coordinated utilization of assessment tools and results for multiple stakeholders
- Promote effective communication of survey results within the University community
- Promote the use of Qualtrics, the University’s online survey tool
- Facilitate and promote the development and use of high quality survey tools
This Policy does not replace the need for Institutional Review Board (“IRB”) approval to conduct certain research and assessment projects. All researchers are responsible for obtaining required IRB exemptions, approvals, and/or permissions before implementing any survey or other research tool.
Individuals or offices wishing to conduct a survey that is covered by this Policy must complete the Survey Proposal Form, which can be completed and submitted online. See Exhibit A.
The following information is required to complete the Survey Proposal Form:
- Description of the survey project, including the purpose and intended use of results;
- Specific population to be surveyed;
- Method of survey distribution (e.g., online or hard copy, via email, in class, at event, etc.);
- Time frame for survey administration, including beginning and end dates;
- Evidence of IRB approval (if necessary);
- Description of any planned incentive program for respondents;
- Current draft of the survey and invitation(s) to participate; and
- Contact information for the surveyor.
The Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness may ask for additional information, as appropriate. Survey Proposal Forms must be received by the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness at least two (2) weeks prior to the start date of the survey. If a recurring survey has previously been approved, it is only necessary to submit the description of the survey project, previous administration dates, and proposed administration dates.
Surveys approved in prior years but, which have been significantly changed, must be re-approved. If a survey is approved by the IRB, the IRB protocol may be submitted in lieu of the Survey Proposal Form. It is recommended that individuals and offices wishing to administer a survey consult with the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness before submitting a Survey Proposal Form to ensure that there is no duplication of effort.
The Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness will review the Survey Proposal Form and respond within five (5) business days of the date of receipt. Review will be based on the following questions, as well as others within the discretion of the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness, as appropriate:
- Is the purpose of the survey clear? Is it clearly explained to the target audience? Are the rights of and risks to prospective participants clearly explained?
- What is the target population? Will an entire population or a sample be surveyed? Is it explained whether participation anonymous, confidential, neither?
- What methods or actions will be employed to ensure confidentiality of responses?
- Are the survey questions clear and easily understood? Where applicable are the response categories clear and easily understood?
- Is the survey well-designed? Does it employ sound survey methods and practices?
- Has or will this information be collected from this target population using another instrument already in place? If so, is there a reason this survey should also be conducted? Or, are there other data or information available that answer the questions sought by this survey?
- Could the questions in this survey be combined with another survey that is already planned? Could select questions in this survey be included in an already planned survey?
- When will the survey be administered? Is the timeframe optimal? Are there other surveys or activities that will be conducted during the same time frame that seek the same information from the same target population?
- Is the survey an appropriate length? Does it follow sound survey methods and practices? Are the questions easily understood and interpreted?
- How will results be used? Does the survey provide information useful for planning or in support of continuous improvement efforts?
- Who will receive the results? Who will have access to the information? How will results be shared? Has IRB approval been obtained if necessary?
The Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness will provide either approval of the survey project as-is, or a change notice with feedback regarding specific changes needed for approval.
The Arcadia University Assessment Calendar is a calendar of currently scheduled surveys, including survey abstracts and descriptions of target populations, which is available to members of the University community via the Institutional Research and Effectiveness website.
Survey refers to a written set of questions used to collect information from individuals through their responses to questions, for the purpose of assessment, research or evaluation (Check & Schutt, 2012).
University refers to Arcadia University, its colleges, schools, affiliates, divisions and subsidiaries.
V. Effective Date
The Effective Date of this Policy is the date that it is signed by the President
VI. Date of Approval
October 21, 2021
Please complete this survey proposal form and forward to the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness at least two weeks prior to the start date of the survey. If this survey has previously been approved, it is only necessary to submit the description of the survey project, previous administration dates and proposed administration dates (questions 1, 2 and 5). Surveys approved in prior years but, which have been significantly changed, must be re-approved. If a survey has been approved by the IRB, the IRB protocol may be submitted in lieu of the survey proposal.
Approval of the survey project as-is or a change notice with feedback regarding specific changes needed for approval will be provided by the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness within five (5) days of submission. Please contact the Office of Institutional Research and Effectiveness with any questions.
- Name and contact information of individual or office submitting survey proposal form.
- Please provide a description of the survey project, including the purpose and intended use of results.
- Has this survey been administered in the past? □ Yes □ No
a. If yes, have the survey questions, format, administration period or target population changed since it was last administered? □ Yes □ No
b. If yes, please describe changes.
c. Please note the start and stop dates for this survey when it was last administered.
NOTE: If this survey has been administered in the past and the above questions have been answered you may skip to item 7 and proceed.
- Please describe the target population for this survey. Specifically, who will you seek to survey?
- Please describe your planned method of survey distribution. How will respondents participate in your survey (online, paper, at an event, etc.)? _____________________________________________________________________________
- What is the timeframe for your survey? What are the planned start and stop dates?
- Will you offer any incentives for participation? □ Yes □ No
If yes, please describe the incentives you will provide, including their value and how they will be distributed.
- Was IRB approval necessary for your survey? □ Yes □ No
a. If yes, have you obtained IRB approval? □ Yes □ No
b. If yes, please attach the IRB protocol and approval and forward to the Office of Institutional Research and Assessment.
- Please attach a draft of the survey instrument and invitation(s) to participate.