Mendoza ’18 Supports STD Prevention in Guam

By RetterJ | August 10, 2019

Mendoza at health fair

As a public health associate for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Healthcare Administration alumna Dulce Mendoza ’18 is implementing HIV, STD, and viral hepatitis prevention services to reduce high-risk behaviors and decrease incident rates in Mangilao, Guam. 

“Pacific Islanders are disproportionately affected by sexually transmitted diseases,” said Mendoza, who provided rapid-testing and counseling to more than 100 patients this year. “Clinic hours, cost, transportation, confidentiality, and stigma create barriers and lead to missed opportunities for finding and preventing infections.” 

Mendoza, who completed Global Public Health and Biology minors at Arcadia, also coordinates outreach events to reach vulnerable populations, including adolescents and LGBT community members. She manages the Guam Department of Public Health and Social Services’ “Prutehi Hao!” social media campaign, designed to inform community members about STD resources. 

“At Arcadia, I wasn’t limited to focusing on the scientific aspects of health education,” said Mendoza. “I applied what I learned in the classroom to real-life settings. The liberal arts environment helped pave my path.”