Bryant Takes Lead of the Music Program

By Caitlin Burns | October 15, 2019

Flyer for Mozart Mondays

“The classics are 200-year-old rock and roll,” said Dr. David Bryant, new interim program director of Music. “The idea that composers write music that people don’t understand isn’t true. They’d never sell a show if they did. I want to re-educate the community about understanding music.”

This is just part of Dr. Bryant’s big plans for the Music program. From adding new events to incorporating music into collaborative cross-disciplinary courses, he wants students to experience music beyond the traditional experiential learning of a liberal arts education.

Less than two months into his interim director role, Dr. Bryant has already begun Mozart Mondays, which had its first performance on Oct. 7. These semi-regular programs are from 2 to 3 p.m. at Grey Towers Castle and help Bryant showcase his love of composer Wolfgang Mozart. Each performance begins with a brief discussion about the piece and its meaning before Dr. Bryant takes to the piano. Flyers for Mozart Mondays were created by Graphic Design student Hanna Wu ’22.

“I played classical music as a kid, but I loved jazz and rock,” said Dr. Bryant. “However, I rediscovered Mozart later, and I love sharing it with other people. It’s fun music.”

Dr. Bryant has started composing piano pieces based on the carvings on the exterior of Grey Towers Castle, which he hopes to work with artists in the University community to craft a visual and musical performance.

“I plan on taking every opportunity to play in the castle,” said Dr. Bryant. “It’s rare to have that aesthetic setting to perform in.”

In addition to the winter and spring concerts and First Fridays, Dr. Bryant plans to add radio drama performances, original music showcases, and educational opportunities to the events lineup this academic year. 

The next Mozart Monday is Monday, Oct. 28.