Study Abroad with Arcadia University in the United Kingdom

Study Abroad in the United Kingdom
Visa Information

Students participating on an Arcadia University program in the United Kingdom will need a visa. The only exceptions are for citizens of the UK and European Union.

Please read all of this information very carefully.

There are two types of student visas for the United Kingdom:

1. PBS (Points Based System) Tier 4 Student Visa

2. Student Visitor Visa

Which Visa Do I Need?

The first step is to determine which visa you will need. 

Note whether any of the following scenarios apply to you:

  • You are participating in an internship program (e.g. London Internship, Scottish Parliamentary Program)

  • You intend to study in the UK for more than 6 months (e.g. you’ve been accepted to your program for the academic year; London School of Economics)

  • You will be studying in the UK and intend to work or intern. (Please speak with your program manager if this applies.)

If ANY of the scenarios above apply to you:

Then you will need to apply for a PBS Tier 4 Student Visa (General). The Points Based System was introduced in 2009 and requires students to obtain entry clearance prior to entering the United Kingdom. The fee for this visa is £310 (around U.S. $527 as of April 2014).

More information about Tier 4 Student Visa

If NONE of the scenarios above apply to you:

Then you will be able to enter the UK on a Student Visitor Visa.

If your citizenship classifies you by UK Visas and Immigration as a visa national, you will need to apply for the Student Visitor Visa in advance.

If your citizenship classifies you by UK Visas and Immigration as a non-visa national, you will be able to obtain the Student Visitor Visa upon arrival in the United Kingdom.

All US citizens are non-visa nationals and will be able to obtain the student visitor visa upon arrival in the UK (excluding internship program participants and students studying for more than 6 months). Non-US citizens: Please refer to to determine if you are a visa national or not. If you are, your result will say "You'll need a visa to study in the UK".