Royal Holloway Course Registration
Royal Holloway pre-registers you in the classes you select with your application.
This text will be replaced
Learn more about Royal Holloway
Make sure you carefully consider the courses you choose. It can be extremely difficult to change courses after your initial application, and in many cases, you will find limited course availability after the application deadline.
- You should secure approval for at least 8-10 courses per semester.
- Make sure to list at least one alternate course for every course you select.
- List your choices and alternates in order of preference.
It is your responsibility to make sure that the courses you take abroad will transfer for credit to your home school. Please review your course choices with your academic or study abroad advisor, and submit the online course registration form through your Arcadia Passport.
Every effort will be made to place you in the courses you originally request. However, neither Royal Holloway nor The College of Global Studies cannot guarantee placement in any course. Your first choices may not be available due to schedule changes, time conflicts or cancellations. Alternate course approval and flexibility is extremely important.
- The Royal Holloway academic year is divided into two 12-week terms followed by a 6-week term during which examinations take place.
- Students applying through The College of Global Studies may enroll for the autumn term, or the spring and summer terms combined, or the full academic year.
Royal Holloway courses available to study abroad students are described on the university website.
Students may enroll in courses in up to three different departments at Royal Holloway.
- Courses with course codes starting with 1 are 1st level, 2 are 2nd level and 3 are 3rd level.
- 1st level courses are equivalent to first and second year courses in the US.
- 2nd level courses are equivalent to junior-level courses.
- 3rd level courses are equivalent to senior-level or first year graduate courses, and should only be selected by students who have already taken a significant number of courses in that area.
Study Abroad students should enroll for courses according to the following guidelines:
- Autumn or Spring Semester students should take a total of 2 units, or 16 US credits.
- Academic Year students should choose a total of 32 US credits for the academic year.
- Individual courses may be offered at 0.5 units or 1.0 unit.
|Royal Holloway Course Unit Values
||US Credit Equivalent
||4 US credits
||8 US Credits
||16 US credits
There is no uniform means of listing course semesters at Royal Holloway. Course listings differ by department.
- Fall courses may be listed as “Term 1,” “Autumn,” “A,” or “1.”
- Spring courses may be listed as as “Term 2,” “Semester 2,” “Spring,” “B,” or “2.”
- Full-year courses are typically listed as “Year,” “Both Terms,” “Autumn and Spring,” “A/B,” or “1 and 2.”
- Some courses are available for both year students and semester students; see course description for details.
For those students interested in studying in the Drama department, please note that Royal Holloway’s program is theory-based and not practice-based. You will not find introductory practice-based courses offered at Royal Holloway (for example; Acting Methods courses).
The Drama department offers a combination of practical and intellectual courses that are intended to engage in theatrical analysis, and in thinking and writing about theatrical topics. There are also a few Drama courses that are intended for non-majors.
Music Department – Special Fees
Each Music Performance course will be assessed an extra charge for facilities and instruction. Please see our fee information at http://www.arcadia.edu/abroad/fees for the current cost. These fees apply to Music Performance classes only.
For assistance with any part of the application process, call Margaret Walter, your Program Manager, at 1-866-927-2234, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review your course choices with your academic or study abroad advisor, and submit the online course registration form on your Arcadia Passport.