Course Registration Instructions
As a participant on an Arcadia University program, you will be required to maintain a full courseload. This is considered 14 – 16 semester hours of credit during each semester.
Note that some City students may be able to enroll in 18 semester hours of credit by opting to enroll in a 2-credit language or cultural studies course.
In order to determine when a particular course is offered, you will need to understand the session codes below:
|Course Session Code
||Academic Year Only (students studying for one semester only are not eligible)
||Fall Semester Only
||Spring Semester Only
||Academic Year or Fall Semester
||Academic Year, or Fall Semester, or Spring Semester
Credit values for coursework at City University can be determined as follows:
Specific Course Type
|Semester Hours of Credit
|Most Language and Cultural
Studies Courses, any program session
To View Course Offerings
Refer to the Academic Programmes page on the City University website.
- From this page, select an area of study in the box towards the top left of the page under the heading “Academic Programme.”
- It is important to consider any pre-requisite information.
Specific Course Areas
- Business, Finance and Management courses are offered through the Cass Business School. Academic requirements for the Cass School are more stringent that those for City University; students will be expected to have a cumulative grade point average well above 3.0. Finally, not all of these courses are available to study abroad students, so you will need to review the Course Catalogue to verify this. See this page for more information.
- Actuarial Science courses are also offered through the Cass School. These courses are only available to students majoring in actuarial science. As not all courses are available to study abroad students, you will need to review the Course Catalogue to verify this. See this page for more information.
- Media & Communications courses are taught from a sociological perspective. Students wishing to take 200 or 300 level courses in this subject area should have a background in sociology as well as media and communications.
- Music courses and Speech and Language Therapy courses are available to students majoring in the relevant subject.
- Journalism courses are also only available to journalism majors and course numbers are extremely limited, so applying early is advised.
- Language and Cultural Studies courses are usually worth 2 semester hours of credit:
Other Important Points
- Arcadia University does not issue pass/fail grades for work completed overseas. Please contact your program manager if you have any questions about this.
- In the British education system, students attend university for three years and only enroll in courses directly related to their degree. It is important to consider this if you intend to enroll in any second- or third-year courses at City University, as previous coursework in that area will be required, even if no pre-requisites are listed.
- In some cases, the overseas university will request that you submit syllabi and course descriptions from your previous work to demonstrate that you have satisfied any pre-requisites. It is advisable to have this information available.
- Additional course fees may be associated with some of your overseas coursework. Courses that include laboratory or studio components, additional equipment, field excursions or other trips often include supplemental fees. Students interested in coursework at City University in engineering, informatics or music should be particularly aware of supplemental fees. For more information, contact your program manager.
- If you intend to pursue coursework or a placement in music, you may be required to submit portfolio materials. It is recommended that you submit a portfolio of your work on a compact disc (CD) or slides. These can be a combination of shorter pieces, or fewer longer works, but should show a diversity and range of style and genre. Please note that any portfolio materials submitted will not be returned.
- You are required to maintain a full courseload throughout the program. This is considered to be 14-18 semester hours of credit per semester.
- While every effort will be made to accommodate your course requests, Arcadia University cannot guarantee placement in any course. For this reason, it is advisable to select alternative selections – generally 8-10 courses.
For assistance with any part of the application process, call Michelle Kasmauskis, your program manager, at 1-866-927-2234, or email firstname.lastname@example.org. Please review your course choices with your academic or study abroad advisor, and submit the online course registration form on your Arcadia Passport.