National University of Ireland, Maynooth
Preliminary Course Information
The Course Selection Process
- In order to proceed with your application to the National University of Ireland, Maynooth (NUI Maynooth) you will need to submit a preliminary course form for your semester. Your course selections should be made in consultation with your academic advisor.
- If you have not previously done so, please meet with your academic advisor to ensure that the courses that you plan to take overseas will transfer back to your degree program.
- In addition to your proposed list of 6-10 courses, we recommend that you choose a series of alternate courses. Your first choice selections may not be available due to scheduling changes, time conflicts, prerequisites or cancellations.
- Your flexibility is very important to the process.
- If your enrollment is conditional upon entry into a specific course or courses, it is very important that you indicate these requirements at the bottom of the preliminary course form on your Arcadia Passport.
- While every effort will be made to accommodate your selections, The College of Global Studies Arcadia University cannot guarantee placement in any specific course.
- Official course registration will take place upon arrival at NUI Maynooth. The preliminary course form you submit to Arcadia prior to acceptance is not set in stone. You will have a two week drop/add period at the beginning of the semester where you can make changes to your course registration.
You are required to maintain a full-time course load throughout your period of study in Ireland. A full course load at NUI Maynooth is typically six courses of varying ECTS credits per semester, totaling about 30 ECTS credits. This translates to 15 American credits for the semester.
Official course registration will take place at NUI Maynooth.
Please note that you should also be aware of any credit requirements at your home institution.
Refer to the credit translation scale below when selecting your courses:
Navigating the Overseas University's Course Website
When selecting your courses from the overseas university’s website, you should be aware of some differences in terminology. In Ireland, the word we use for class or course is called a "module."
NUI Maynooth course offerings and course descriptions are available at http://international.nuim.ie/study-maynooth/study-abroad-programmes-non-eu-students/available-courses. Just click on the department/subject links to view the classes.
- Courses offered each semester generally remain consistent from year to year. Irish universities usually don’t post next academic year’s course catalog until just weeks before the fall semester starts.
- Semester of Study – Semester 1 corresponds to the fall; Semester 2 corresponds to the spring.
- Course Level – NUI Maynooth typically identifies each course level as either 100, 200, or 300 level. Some departments use up to a 600 level in their course codes. Studying in level 300 courses is limited to students with previous departmental experience.
Other Important Points
There is a surcharge that is assessed by NUI Maynooth for coursework completed in science and engineering departments. This surcharge will be added to your account after you register for courses at NUI Maynooth.
- Arcadia University does not issue pass/fail grades for work completed overseas.
- It is your responsibility to make sure you are registered for a full academic load according to your home school policies and that the courses you take abroad will transfer for credit to your home school.
For assistance with any part of the application process, call Amanda Zimmerman, your program manager, at 1-866-927-2234, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please review your course choices with your academic or study abroad advisor, and submit the online course registration form on your Arcadia Passport.