University of Edinburgh
Course Registration Instructions
Academic Year = 120 Edinburgh credits = 30 semester hour credits
Fall or Spring semester = 60 Edinburgh credits = 15 semester hour credits
Most students take 3 Edinburgh classes per semester.
Courses available to study abroad students are located on the Edinburgh website:
- This URL will take you to the Visiting Student Prospectus.
- Click on your appropriate period of study.
- Courses are listed by school and subject.
- Click on a course name to view the delivery period, normal year taken, requirements, credits and a brief description.
||Normal Year Taken
|Semester One = Fall Semester
||1st Year = a Sophomore level course
|Semester Two = Spring Semester
||2nd Year = a Junior level course
|Full Year = Academic Year
||3rd Year = Honors Level = a Senior/Graduate level course
The University of Edinburgh has firm course restrictions for admittance into Third Year/Honours Courses. These courses are denoted by course numbers beginning with 10000- (First and second year courses begin with the numbers 08000- and 09000- respectively.)
Admittance into Third Year/ Honors- level classes is selective and at the discretion of Edinburgh’s departmental tutors upon review of students’ official transcripts. You can only take Year Three classes (Honours Level classes) in a subject if you fulfill both of the following two requirements:
- You MUST have a 3.0 Cumulative GPA.
- You MUST have taken at least three classes in that subject, at the college level, and MUST have earned grades of B or above in each of those three classes. (This is subject-specific; for example, fulfilling third year class requirements in English will not allow you to take third year classes in Psychology.)
If you do not fulfill both of those requirements, you will not be allowed to take third year classes. Edinburgh is not flexible on this point.
For all of the pre-requisites, Edinburgh only considers University/College level courses. AP credits are not applicable toward these requirements. If you did not fulfill requirements for admission to Year 3 Honours courses at the time you applied to Edinburgh, but you do fulfill them upon arrival, you can bring an official transcript with you to Edinburgh that shows the classes you’ve completed between application and arrival, and they will reconsider your eligibility for those classes.
English Literature Honours courses: Students are required to have previously completed at least 4 literature courses at grade B or above. Courses in different but related subject areas do not count towards these requirements (e.g. civilisation or other interdisciplinary classes, Freshman Year Seminars or composition/creative writing classes/workshops).
Political Science Honours courses: Students are required to have previously completed at least 4 political science courses at grade B or above.
Economics Honours courses: Students are required to have previously completed at least 3 Economics courses at grade B or above. These must include courses in both Macroeconomics and Microeconomics.
Language courses: Entry to any language course above introductory level is subject to a language test by the relevant subject area on arrival and at the discretion of the course organiser.
Fourth Year courses are not open to undergraduate study abroad students.
Studio art, architecture and design courses offered through the Edinburgh College of Art are not available to study abroad students.
Making Your Course Selections
Submit the online course registration form to The College of Global Studies at Arcadia University through your Arcadia Passport.
List all course choices and alternates in order of preference. Your first choices may not be available due to timetabling, prerequisite, or availability issues.
This form is used only to determine your eligibility for admission and for the pre-registration process at Edinburgh.
You are responsible for:
- Meeting with your academic advisor to discuss course selections.
- Confirming that the courses you take abroad will transfer for credit at your home school.
- Obtaining approval for approximately 8-10 classes per semester (including alternates).
- Registering for a full academic load.
- No specific course requests can be guaranteed by Arcadia or Edinburgh.
- Final course registration does not take place until you arrive at the University of Edinburgh.
For assistance with any part of the application process, call The College of Global Studies at 1-866-927-2234.Please review your course choices with your academic or study abroad advisor, and submit the online course registration form on your Arcadia Passport.