Scotland Housing Information
Absolutely Essential Information
Please read this information first.
As a participant on an Arcadia University program, you are guaranteed housing. Your program fee includes accommodation, but does not include costs for meals or meal plans.
Arcadia University's priority is to accommodate you in a place that will support your studies and enable you to experience the local culture. Whenever possible, Arcadia attempts to accommodate you with local students. Accommodation is selected by Arcadia University based on these factors, in addition to considering safety, security and cost. For these reasons, Arcadia reserves the right to alter or change accommodation options at any time.
To indicate your housing preferences, submit them using your Arcadia Passport. Before completing this form, you should review the information below as well as the Arcadia University Housing Policy located in the Student Handbook, and any individual accommodation venue websites.
Students are welcome to submit one roommate request; however, requests must be mutual and in writing. While we will work to honor your housing preferences and roommate requests, specific assignments cannot be guaranteed.
In order to consider your preferences, Arcadia must receive your Housing Preferences by the housing deadline. If they are not received before the housing deadline, you will automatically be assigned to available program accommodation.
- Fall Semester: June 30
- Spring Semester: November 20
- Summer Programs: March 31
If you require accommodations for any special needs – including dietary, medical or physical – be certain to indicate this in your Housing Preferences. Any information will be treated as confidential and will only be shared with those individuals involved in your housing placement.
Arcadia University encourages students to live in housing sponsored by the host university or provided by Arcadia. Although housing is guaranteed for students participating on Arcadia programs, you have the option to petition to decline this service and find your own independent accommodation. If you decide to do so, please notify your program manager to speak about your options, and submit a written request to live apart from Arcadia-arranged housing. We ask that you make this request as soon as possible so the appropriate approval process can be completed. If you fail to complete this process before the appropriate housing deadline listed above you will be subject to penalty fees in accordance with the Arcadia University Housing Policy. Students living independent of Arcadia provided housing assume any risks associated.
Very Important Additional Points
- Every room is different and unique and while Arcadia ensures that all rooms satisfy general standards, there is no way to guarantee uniformity of apartment and room sizes, distance from your university, furnishings, or facilities.
- Scotland is a small country where individual space, personal comfort, and social norms play a different role than in the United States. Scottish accommodations usually feature central heating and an in-house hot water tanks that works on timed emersion systems for both economic and environmental savings.
- Internet access will vary depending upon your housing venue; for details on connectivity and any associated fees, you should review the websites below.
- The Arcadia Edinburgh staff strive to place our students with Scottish students whenever possible; however when this cannot be accommodated students should expect to live with other participants in the Arcadia program.
- As an Arcadia program participant, housing will remain available to you during the semester, including breaks. Housing between semesters is only available to full year students; you should speak with Arcadia staff in Scotland about remaining in your housing over the New Year.
- Arcadia will provide each student with a pillow and a duvet; you will be responsible for your own bed linens. As packing space is limited, bringing these materials is not recommended. The Arcadia staff will be able to direct you where these can be purchased.
- Arcadia cannot guarantee non-smoking arrangements; students with serious health concerns should notify Arcadia University during the application process and indicate any space needs on their housing preference form.
- Arcadia reserves the right to alter or change accommodation options at any time should circumstances warrant.
Program-Specific Housing Options